Really stupid question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steamboat26, Jul 12, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Ok, this is a REALLY dumb question, but when i download an application, and get an icon like Picture 1.png , what should i do with these icons. Is it safe to delete them, because i have already installed Firefox and WMP, or should i just drag them into the finder?
    Once again, forgive my mac newbiness, i have only been working with my mini for a couple of months. :D

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Delete them, another of a small list of things that is easier in windows: installing.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The firefox one is a DMG (Disk Image) meaning it's a mountable image that contains the application or installer in question. In this case, FF is a dragable install, so drag the icon on the DMG onto your Applications folder (or wherever you want to "install" it) and then eject the disk image and trash the downloaded .dmg file.

As for the MS installer, just trash it after installing.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

In the case of disk images like Firefox that you showed, you first eject, then delete the .dmg file, if you hadn't already figured that out.

Some people (me) like to keep the installers filed somewhere, but that's generally not necessary. If you are one of those people, you of course only need to save the actual installer or .dmg file--if you end up with something intermediate like the WMP .hqx file, you can chuck that.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Huh!? I much prefer to drag and drop one file to my hard drive and then eject a disk image than open a slow installer and click next 10 times just so the thing can make a complete mess of my hard drive.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not to mention the mess that is left in the registry. Ick!

B

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

what he said