Really Stupid & Unscientific Stability Test...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Apr 13, 2003.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I have no life and no job since I got laid off so last night I told Photoshop 7 to open 2,718 .psd files all at once. It took about 45 minutes and I was even able to surf the web and use Dreamweaver for a little while. Eventually things slowed way down but nothing crashed at all. I know this is pointless but I was sure it wouldn't be able to do it. I also had Preview open 1,000 .gif files at once and that worked too. I have way too much free time, I know. So, is anyone hiring?

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

how do u open more then one file at the same time?

3. szark macrumors 68030

szark

You can use Shift-click or Command-click to highlight multiple filenames in the Finder.

Press Command-O to open them. You can also drag the selected files to a dock program to open them.

4. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

certainly i will..
    but there is either mandrake or debian installed.. :) no winbloze for me. I ll use gimp to open the images and tell you if it worked or not .)

6. acj macrumors 6502

how big were the files?

How big were the files? Hopw much ram do you have? Did it open them all or stop (without crashing)?

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

in my experience between my G4 1 GHz and my pal's P4 1.9 GHz, his loaded multiple (as in 20-30) images considerably faster, but his computer practically locked up while he waited for them to load, and i could chat and browse the net while i waited.

oddly, we loaded up a single 170 MB image in about the same time.

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i will try opening as many files as I can on my piii running 98se on 'chop 6

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i am going to try and do this now

i have a 358mb photchop file set up (copy pasted over and over again of my desktop picture, originally a 6mb file)

specs:

photoshop 6
    633 Pentium III
    Running Windows 98se
    60gig WD 7200 rpm
    384mb ram, 256 designated to photoshop
    PC133 ram

10. acj macrumors 6502

This sounds about right..

I'm loading 15 30-meg PSDs on my PC while I type, and I can multitask pretty well. Opening new browser windows and closing programs is notably slower, but still in the 1-2 second range. I'm on my P4 2.4Ghz. Still a Dual G4 should outperform most PC's for this sort of thing when multi-tasking, until you get to the 3.06Ghz P4 with hyperthreading, which speeds multi-tasking up a lot.