Really Vague dumb question that I would like to be answered

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pipian, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Pipian macrumors regular

At my school, we use macs, It's a huge network of Flat Panels, powerbooks, CRT's (Rev. C-D), and even a few All In one's! What I need to know is.. What is the application name that is used for us kids instead of Mac OS 9? You Turn on the mac, then it comes to a User name and password screen for OS 9, the teachers login to their names and into OS 9, we kids login to something with 2 seperate columns, and the programs are selected for us, and we can only use the programs and save in the columns... Sorry about hte vagueness of the question...

2. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

3. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

It might be "At Ease" or "Launcher". I've seen these in OS 8 and 9 but I've never used them enough to tell if one is what you are looking for.

4. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't really look like the launcher... And it's def. not at ease

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I think what your school is using is the built in users control panel in OS 9. I have seen this done on computers at my work, and it sounds alot like what you are describing. I think that this would be the best solution for your school since it wouldn't have to shell out more money for a application to do this.

As for a way around this?, which is what you might be asking for, you might want to try to boot up with extensions off (restart the computer and hold down the shift key) to see if you can bypass the login screen and change the user priveleges, although I have never tried this and don't know if it would even work.

6. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it doesn't even open OS 9, and when you press command Q in the program it logs you out of the program and the computer.. Dunno if this helps

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It sounds like the Multiple Users control panel, part of Mac OS 9. What would you like to know about it?

8. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Looks like your site has been set up with Macintosh Manager, for central file saving and controlled, protected environments. The teachers log in and are given complete access to the OS, the kids log in and are given a "panel" environment to choose allowed programs and to save/store created documents on a server.

As a former MacManager administrator, that sounds like what you're experiencing. Don't look to me for finding ways to get around it, though...it was set up at your site for a good reason, and I'm not about to help giving hints to bypass or hack it.:)

9. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just wondering if there's anything cool I can do with it..?

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Not really. It's a security interface that limits which programs you can use and allows you to save documents only in a folder assigned to your login id. It can be set to use a Finder interface or the two-column version that you are seeing. I think the two-column version is annoying because it hides the Finder's normal desktop, as if the desktop would be too hard for you to understand. Bah! When I set up Multiple Users for a classroom, no matter what grade level, I always use the Finder interface. In either case, however, you can only launch the applications that the administrator has designated.