RealMYST?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey guys,
    I have never played myst but after reading the reviews I think I should. I ahve decided to try RealMYST(myst with a 3d engine). I wanted to start from the begining so I dont miss any of the story. Here is the problem. I tried URU a while back and hated it because it just dropped you into this world and didnt tell or exlain ANYTHING to you. I was lost, it is almost like the game assumed you knew what to do! I really wanna get to know myst, I feel like I'm missing out! Im just worried that I will be frustrated because of the lack of explanation(or should I say NO explanations). How did you guys play myst, trial and error?

Oh and what do you guys think of RealMYST?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I never did play RealMyst... It looked a little cheesy to me.

I did play ALL the Myst titles though. I never did play Uru and I think it was never really part of the true Myst games. It had everything to do about Myst, but wasn't part of the story line. And what you felt playing it was probably how they wanted you to feel. That's the way the Myst genre works! You get plopped into a very unknown and unfamiliar place and you have to figure stuff out and try to make sense of everything (so if you didn't like that, beware!). I've played all 5 games and they are really fun, but I still don't understand everything. My favorite was Exile (#3). It wasn't the hardest one, but it was fun. Riven (#2) was the hardest in my opinion. I read a review of it once where the reviewer called it the IQ test from hell. lol... My least favorite was the last one. I know they worked hard to make it so that you could walk anywhere, but it made it really weird to make the graphics suffer because of that on the LAST one... Oh well

The original Myst might be fun in a fully 3D environment, but I'm a true die hard Myst fan so I would stick to the original first. Plus it is amazing to think about what computer games were like back when it first came out. Truly incredible work they did to make it look like that!

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It sounds like the Myst games aren't your cup of tea. Myst is no different in that you are plopped on an island and it is up to you to figure out what you have to do. Riven (my favorite game of all time) is somewhat different in that you have a few concrete goals from the opening movie, but you have no idea how to go about doing them.

And yes, Uru is the most enigmatic game of the series because the game was originally going to be an online game (which is incidentally going to be revived this winter) so the little "story" you get is though Yeesha's philisophical ramblings.

Myst is probably the easiest game of the series, so if you want to give it a shot, RealMyst is the way to go. I think it's hard to get a copy these days, however. As for the game assuming you know what to do––just explore, be observant, and you'll figure out everything for yourself. That's what makes Myst so rewarding.

Edit: Contrary to adrianblaine, I think Myst III is worst game of the series by far. The story is silly, the acting is over the top, and their existence for the puzzles is that they are "learning ages." Myst IV was great until you got to serenia, then the story got shot to hell. Riven's difficulty was nasty, but the puzzles were so beautifully integrated in the environment that I didn't care. If you are very observant, you shouldn't have too many problems––although figuring out the number system is headache-inducing.

Myst V had some cool features––drawing the tablet was pretty neat, and Todelmer is my second favorite age right after Tay, but it's a pity UbiSoft made them rush it. It was obvious it could have used some graphical tweaking.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Ok, so I thought about it, and you are right. Myst III did have some silly stuff... I haven't played it in awhile, but at the time I thought it was really fun. I was also 5 years younger than I am now and it is crazy the change you go through going from 19 to 24!

Riven's numbers were easy when you found the counting thing in the classroom. You just had to think harder to get the numbers higher than 10. It was the stupid colored marbles that took me a week of frustration to figure out.

Man, I could talk about these games forever. I wish I had time to go back and play them again!

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yeah, what I hated about the marbles was I knew how to figure it out, but I still couldn't get it to work. But it was oh so satisfying once it did.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Lol, same thing for me. It totally made sense, and it would never work. I think my problem was not getting the right colors where they needed to be.

I was thinking about Exile again, and I think back in the day I was really impressed by the cut scene movies and some of the effects. Riven was totally amazing though, especially coming 2nd.

7. Jessy macrumors regular

RealMYST is one of the greatest games I have ever played. That and Ghost Master are the only games I have enjoyed on Mac OS X. The only MYST games I have played were the original, on Sega Saturn, and this one. I love not having to deal with a limited perspective and bad load times like in the old days, and I also love using only the mouse to play (left-click to go forward, right-click to go backward).

This IS one of those games that does not come with intricate instructions, by the designers' choice. The fun of the thing is in not really knowing what's going on. It's all about exploration and a sort of personal isolationism, similar in that respect to the Metroid series. Get the demo at macgamefiles.com, and if you like what you see, pick it up as soon as you can.

8. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Now here is a good question. WHERE can I buy realMYST? The macplay.com sight doesnt even have it listed under their games category(I assume because its so old). No ebay or anything like that. Is there any online store where I can pick up a copy(preferably where I pay and I can download it to save shipping times, but it isnt a huge factor).

Edit: I'm in europe. Amazon.com only ships to the US and Amazon.co.uk doesnt have it :(

9. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

You could try ebay.

I never played the first Myst.
    But loved the rest.
    Riven was very difficult.
    Exile (myst III) was beautiful (dunno it it was silly) but i really enjoyed it.
    Myst IV was also very good. More difficult than the previous game though.

URU was rubbish! The controls were so bad and finicky that you couldn't concentrate on the game itself.