RealNetworks. LOL, it's funny 'cause it's true.

Discussion in 'Community' started by cb911, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

okay,

i saw this a while ago on someone's blog, i've been saving this pic for when a news item about RealPlayer or RealNetworks comes up, but i can't hold out any longer, this is too funny.

the pic says it all. :D

Attached Files:

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

sorry... don't get it... could explain it for those of us who are slow?

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

okay, get yourself RealPlayer for OS X (or any platform for that matter, whichever you're using) and then go to a site that uses Real to stream video or audio. i think iFilm and VideoC are just a couple that do. then as you attempt to watch the clip, you'll laugh out loud. :D

or even try playing a .rm clip from your hard drive, the results will be pretty much the same. :D

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Whenever I used Real on the PC it would take forever to buffer and at random times skip and wait to buffer halfway through the video clip. If you ever sat through that, seeing the picture is pretty humorous.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember the old 'buffering' messages back when I was on dialup, but I can't say I've seen them recently. If it's a decent server, it shouldn't stop to buffer - newer RealServers will drop the video quality rather than stop the stream altogether.

In reality though, the various players do different things when there's not enough bandwidth:

RealPlayer with RealServer: Drops the quality.
    RealPlayer with generic server: Causes buffering.
    Windows Media: Buffers. Then crashes.
    QuickTime: Ploughs on regardless, so that you see the same frame over and over until you realise that nothing's happening, then you hit pause, hit play, then find that a large chunk of video has disappeared into the abyss :rolleyes:

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Oddly enough the slow ones should get this first... :)

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. Frump macrumors member

Frump

Real player works great on my Imac 17"FP. I never have any buffering problems. I do have DSL so that might make a difference. I have not tried it on a Dial-up.

Frump.

9. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

he he, yeah. :D

edesignuk, i had to post this after i had that memory flash and remembered what you're 'macros' were. even though this isn't 'mine' but it's a hella funny pic. :D