RealONE Player doesn't suck!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by shadowfax0, Jul 25, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

I just d/led the new RealPlayer for OS X, and it actually doens't suck that bad! It does what it's supposed to, and stays the hell out of my way, and no annoying commercials either! Just a simple player that lets me play RealPlayer vid streams, all I needed! I actually recommend downloading this, because such a large portion of the web still uses RealPlayer for whatever reason...so it's good for the compatibility.

2. dricci macrumors 6502a

I've found it to load and respond much faster than QuickTime in several cases.. The video quality sure isn't as good, though... (Why does it use "Intel Optimizers" on a Mac?)

3. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I think it doesn't have the annoying qualitys of real player yet because its still a beta, I belive that once the final version is release, it will be as annoying as ever.

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah

I never NOT liked it. It does what it was made to do. Its a good App, although it's not in my Dock, it's in my AppleScript Menu :D

5. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

real Player will slowly infect your system until its too late.......by then reistance is futile.

6. ponyboy macrumors regular

Anyone know how to resolve the conflict between itunes and realplayer? Whenever I try and listen to a ram file it automatically opens itunes which cant play it, then I have to manually drag the desktopfile to the realplayer window. I think my mistake was choosing the option in itunes to have it my primary internet music player and I cant find a way to undo that.

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

In IE, go to preferences and then file helpers, scroll down to real audio clip, you can select realone player from there. that should do the trick.

8. ponyboy macrumors regular

Tried that itunes still wants to take on the task?!@#$%^&

9. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a setting in the real player then..... i took the realone player off my computer so i'm not sure.

10. ponyboy macrumors regular

I really think the problem is itunes it is just overpowering IE and realone I need to know how to undo the make itunes my default player option.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

one simple way is to remove your playlists in the iTunes folder - meaning you'd have to go a rebuild any playlists you've compiled - but that will reinitialize the settings - it has for me.

but make a copy and put it somewhere safe just in case ;)

D

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

If you have a saved .ram file on your system, get info on the file from the Finder (Command-I). On the Get info window, select 'Open with application' from the drop down menu. Choose the Real Player application you want to associate with .ram files. Finally, click the Change All... button to associate all .ram files with Real Player.

Done.

I think Jaguar might have a central location (ie System Pane) that will allow you to associate files with applications. I could be wrong though...

Taft

13. ponyboy macrumors regular

That solved it Taft thank you!

14. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Once again Taft proves that he really is "Da Man"

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Beat me to it, Taft.

So far my limited experience with RealONE is OK.

It will be interesting to see how Real positions themselves in the future. They cozied up to MPEG4, but are still maintaining ties with MS...playing both sides.

Now the question is: Will "Corona" have what it takes to compete with Real or Quicktime?