realone/ realplayer intrucive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by acidrock, Aug 20, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

My uncle who knows a lot about computers and reads the magazieen's said last year in only the magazieens there was a big scandel about intrusive real one was on your computer, that it would take personal information off your computer and sell it, it doesn't basically do what it is supposed to, allow you to just listen to music and movies on the net. I'm wondering what people's experiences are with real one/ real player, which are made by the same company, and if you have heard of this, and decided to use alternatives, like windows media player?

-nathan

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I figure this, most of the stuff on your computer is spying on you in some way, so, if you're really worried, then you should get Little Snitch and forget about it. Things will never change. Companies have always put those little buyer surveys in their product boxes, now they can take the information without asking. :rolleyes:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Mac is not Windows. RealPlayer on the Mac is not spyware. I am aware of no spyware on the Mac. RealOne and now the RealPlayer actually work quite well on the Mac. RealOne was strictly a player. The new RealPlayer is more of peer to its Windows sibling. If RealNetworks were not such a d*ck, it might have a chance. The Windows Media Player is not an alternative the RealPlayer and vice-versa because the two play different format AV content. In general, Real content looks better than Windows Media.