RealPlayer sucks! Is this their revenge?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iChief, Oct 21, 2004.

1. iChief macrumors member

iChief

I downloaded RealPlayer about 2-3 weeks ago because I thought it could play WMA files - I'm a recent switcher. And after all that I found out it doesn't. On top of that, what's really annoying is the RealPlayer Disk Image is still on my desktop - it's been there nearly two weeks!!! Every time I drag it towards the trash it ejects but the next time I wake up or restart my iBook it's there again. It's a nightmare

Now I just wanna Uninstall the whole thing but I'm a total newbie and I have never uninstalled anything yet. What do I do?

Is this their revenge on Apple for the whole iPod issue? :mad:

2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

It's not their revenge. My sister's computer does that with MSN messenger--I'm not sure how to get rid of it. I'm sure it's easy once someone tells us how :p !

BTW--if you need to play WMA files--use Windows Media Player for Mac. You can download it at www.microsoft.com/mac.

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

to uninstall realplayer go into the applictions folder and just drag it to the trash. that should do it. not sure about it mounting though........ :confused:

4. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

Thanks Hotwire. Yeah, I downloaded Windows Media Player and I hate to admit that I'm impressed. It's a nice and clean interface - much nicer than the version for Windows!

Hopefully, if I get a reponse to this post it will solve your sister's problem too. :D

5. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

That would be nice... but I don't think it bothers her. It just bugs me to always see the MSN Messenger icon on her desktop :D .

As to WMP--I try to avoid it, but when I have to use it it's a lot better than the Windows version--that's for sure! I still like QuickTime more, though :p

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

run a search for all realplayer files.
    trash them all.

7. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

I even preferred QuickTime on my old Windoze machine. I really must learn how to convert all those WMA files to MOV.

I noticed you say you're 9/10 of the way to an avatar - what do you have to do to get one? :confused:

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Reach 500 posts....

9. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

You have to get 500 posts--5 posts to go :D
    EDIT: jsw beat me to it!

As to converting WMA files to MOV--I thought WMA are audio--wouldn't you want to convert them to MP3 or another audio format? :confused: Just wondering.

10. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... Just a thought, is the .DMG file in your startup items? This is the only thing I can think of that would cause it to mount every boot...

11. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

Edit: This a reply to: "Reach 500 posts...." posted by jsw

Oh right, I'm way off

I live in Ireland and I'm still on a dial up connection so it can be a pain to go online. There's broadband at college but I'm too busy to go on forums there. But it's coming to my exchange in 2 weeks time so I'll get it then - I can't wait. :D

12. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

Thanks. Just did what you suggested and it took a while but it felt good. Like I was getting rid of a load of crap. My iBook has been running a bit slowly lately - hopefully that will have solved it.

13. iChief thread starter macrumors member

iChief

I wasn't in my start up items but I found the DMG file in another folder and I've trashed all the Realplayer files now. I'll know by tomorrow if it's still happening. I'll post again then. I'll stick with QuickTime (and WMP when I have to). I have used VLC but there was something about it I didn't like

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I think that your sister and iChief may have made the same mistake. That is, it is likely that they have been running MSN Messenger and RealPlayer from the mounted disk image rather than installing them in the Applications folder. They can't get rid of the images because they are in use.