Reason for Lag?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bneff, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bneff macrumors newbie

I have the black macbook with 1gig of Ram put in. Recently, I put windows on using boot camp so I could play games. The only game I have put on is Everquest (I own WoW but didn't like it that much). When i first started it up, it ran great wirelessly. However like a week later, I can't even log on sometimes the lag is so bad, hard wired too. I tried to turn down all of the graphics and that didn't help. It's not my internet connection that's the problem, so if someone can tell me what the problem is, it would be grealy appreciated.

2. bneff thread starter macrumors newbie

43 views and no one can help? This sucks, I don't know what to do...

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

What time are you normally trying to log on? It could be that the EQ servers have a heavy load on them. I don't know what else could be the problem as I don't play EQ. I know, though, that there are a lot of people who do, and it might just be that their servers are overloaded.

4. VE3NEF macrumors member

Well... the only thing i can guess is your internet connection. Although you're hard wired, it could still be slowing up.

Have you intalled anything big lately? Is your hardrive full, or almost full?
    I'd try repairing permissions, restarting computer, and getting something like Onyx to clean out your system.

Or maybe its something wrong with the ram?

V

5. bneff thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks... I don't have much hard drive space left, I guess I didn't partition enough. And the only things I have put on the windows side is Everquest, firefox, and AIM, since I only use it for EQ. How much extra hard drive space should i have? Currently I have 3.3 gigs free.

Internet can't be the probem, I've gone to my friends house and tried it because he has no problems and I still lag.

I just had apple put in the RAM when I bought the computer online from the apple store, so I would assume it's not the RAM...

Thanks for the input!

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Lag is 100% your internet connection - either on your end or on their end. So if you have high pings in game, you can either blame it on your ISP or sony's servers. I've never had much problems with lag in EQ, but WoW's server always seem laggy, with pings in the 500+ range!

7. bneff thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm pretty confident that it is not the internet connection...

I went to my friends house and tried it while hard wired and it lagged, while he tried both wireless and hard wire and it ran flawlessly so I'm at a loss...

8. isgoed macrumors 6502

Odds are that it is your internet connection. You can test your internetconnection's speed. Just search for "internet speed test" and select a test that is in your geogrephical region (for best ping tests).

If the speed tests shows that your internet connection is good, then there are a few things that might be wrong with your computers network settings.

1. Everquest might use URL's occasionally. If you have a slow DNS-server (Let's say your provider has a million customers), then this could lag by seconds.
    2. The required ports for the game are not open forcing you in some kind of P2P connection.
    3. Your firewall is asking for permission to connect to the internet (see if windows shows an alert if you launch the game)
    4. You are using a proxy server. Absolutely avoid this.

9. bneff thread starter macrumors newbie

1.6 megabits per second was my test speed on my wireless connection and 3.8 megabits per second hard wired. The website rated them both great and awesome respectively.

No warnings with firewall, and i went through the settings in control panel so I want to rule that out.

I'm not using a proxy.

I use Cox cable so I assume there are a lot of customers.

And not quite sure about the ports.

But the thing I'm really confused about, is the fact that it ran great the first 2-3 days, but then it got progressively worse and worse (I didn't do anything other than play EQ on the windows side during that time). Thanks for the feedback!

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes, I would definitely check to make sure you have the right ports opened up in any firewall you are using (software or hardware). Another thing to try is dropping down your MTU setting. I had to do this as the default size (1500) is incompatible with my internet connection, and presents symptoms which mimic "lag" (slow or no response to actions related to internet connectivity). Go into System Prefs > Network > Configure > Ethernet and set a custom MTU, as high as possible without problems. I only had to drop mine down to 1492 and the problems magically disappeared. If you have a wireless connection it's more complicated to set this, because Apple for some odd reason did not include a GUI to set a custom MTU under the wireless connection config. For many connections the default size is no problem, so if lowering it doesn't correct your problem, reset it back to 1500.

11. bneff thread starter macrumors newbie

Will this have any affect on the windows side? I use windows for Everquest, which is where I have the lag.

Also, just for a good laugh, I decided to try to two box (where you log into two accounts and play two characters at the same time). I'm surprised because I am able to do it and I have the exact same amount of lag as running just one account. I don't know what this means so hopefully it could give someone a clue.

I think I mentioned this before, but I have 3.3 gigs free on the windows partition. The recommended system requirements for Everquest is atleast 1.5gigs, so I take it that's not the problem?

12. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

No that shouldn't be a problem. Lag has nothing to do with free hard drive space. Its totally dependent on your internet connection.

13. bneff thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I took a look at my packets. My wireless connection has like 180 sent and 0 received after loading a page or two. Then my hard wired has like 170 sent 190 received after loading yahoo then google. I used to know how packets work but I forgot already so could someone help me out?

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Have you tried a hard-reset of your router? This has fixed similar problems for me.

Another test you could try is to take your router out of the mix by connecting directly to your modem. In fact I find it's a good idea to have a direct ethernet location set up in Network Preferences just for touble-shooting mysterious network issues like this.