Reason & Garage band

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SaleenS351, May 6, 2005.

1. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

This may sound stupid, but is there a way to use Reason with garageband and record loops that I make in Reason onto a track in GB?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

There isn't any direct way of inputting the reason output as audio into Garageband, but there's nothing to stop you exporting your loops from Reason to the desktop and then dragging them into GB.

Set the loop points around the bars you want to export in Reason, and mute all the other tracks in the mixer, the exported loops will be in .aiff format.

Grab the files and drop them onto an empty track in GB, they'll automatically be imported into the library, so give them a name you'll remember.

3. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

awseom thanks I will give it a try and see how it works, thanks for the tip

4. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Rewire..

Aparently, garage band can be used as a Rewire host which makes using the two packages in sync much easier..

have a look at http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/articles/applenotes.htm

just under half way down in the "Back To The Garage" box..

awesome.. garageband as a rewire host! although if you got reason 3 you really dont need much else. in my opinion obviously :D

5. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the article, I have the reason version 2.5 not 3 :(

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

GB 1.01 would sync over ReWire, but wouldn't transfer audio, Reason 2 will ReWire into anything, (I use ProTools), I've yet to try GB2 with PT or Logic, but I was hoping they'd fully implement ReWire in GB.

Reason isn't the issue, it's fully Rewire capable, it's GB that isn't up with the program.

That said, I'm going to go and try it.... :D

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

OK, Reason WILL ReWire into GB, but only to a limited extent, you still can't record Reasons output into an audio track in GB, thus allowing the audio to be imported, all that happens is that the main stereo output from Reason is mixed with the main stereo output from GB, which does allow the bounce to iTunes to include both audio streams, but you'll still have to do all the programming in Reason.

So the answer still stands, if you want to import audio loops from Reason into GB you'll still need to export the file and import it manually to GB.

Full ReWire implementation for GB would probably take too big a bite out of Logic's pie, but I'll suggest it.

8. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks wintermute. SO it it can be done but it has to be done manually, dragging it to the desktop then to a track in garageband?

9. sudman macrumors newbie

Problems with Reason and Garageband

Hey so I've been using Reason 4.0 and Garageband 3.04 together for a while, recording drums and instrumentals through Garageband and sequencing synths, electronics and ReDrum through Reason. It's worked a few times but recently I've had some issues.

Let me describe the process I take to set this up:
    I open a project in GB, then when it is settled I open up Reason.
    All the transport controls, tempo and loops seem to be synced - when I hit play in either program, the other begins playback.

It seems to operate normally. The issue is that when I use both these programs , I don't get sound output from Reason. So, all my recordings in GB are heard, but the drums and synths in Reason can't be heard.

I've checked to make sure the ReWire connection is there, and it is: The ReWire mixer in Reason says "ReWire Slave Mode," and when I change audio driver settings in Garage Band it says "GarageBand is connected to a ReWire program."
    To illustrate...
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? This is really bothering me, especially because it's worked before and I don't believe I've changed anything.
    Thanks

10. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue and finally found a fix. This is kinda weird, but it works. If you have Ableton Live installed, delete the Ableton folder in Application support. (yourname/Library/Application Support/Ableton) For some reason, this interferes with ReWire.

WARNING: This could play havoc with Live. I never use it, so I just uninstalled the application as well.