reason to wait before ibook purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by C-Mezak, Jul 16, 2004.

1. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Hey guys!

So Ive decided that Im going to purchase my first apple laptop: a 12" ibook. I would really love to have the 12" powerbook, but I just dont think I can afford it.

I'll be leaving for school in early September and must make my purchase beforehand. I am wondering if there is any reason for me not to buy my ibook now. I'm really anxious to get my hands on it, but this purchase has to last me a while, so Im willing to wait through august if there is reason to do so.

Thanks for the advice, fellas!!

Charlie

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

absolutely no reason to wait, apple will not update the ibooks until october at the earliest when all the edu orders have been shipped
    enjoy your new ibook

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If you really want a PB, then look at the refurbs on the Apple Store. They have this PB 12": PowerBook G4 1GHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/E/Aluminum/12"TFT for just $1099.

Keep in mind the Cram and Jam rebate is not valid with the low end iBook 12" and refurbs. If you were looking at getting a iPod.

4. C-Mezak thread starter macrumors regular

C-Mezak

Actually I was hoping to grab an ipod while I was at it. I think I may end up waiting to see what happens with those in early August, because the Cram and Jam deal lasts through September. Seems strange that they would let this sort o deal overlap with a new generation of iPods, doesnt it?

Thats 12" powerbook just dissappeared from the list! oh well!

Thanks!
    Charlie

5. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Do you need the computer now? If so, dont wait and get it.

Its obvious that there wont be any update to the iBook line for a while.

Now about the iPod. Why wait? would the new models offert 10 more gigs, I can bet you that you wont need that much more room. Get it now and enjoy the rest of the summer with it!

Since I have mine, I think I used it everyday. I even carry it to serve as an adress book!

You say that you are short on cash, waiting to get the new iPod would put you out of the rebate period and you would have to give another 200$ to get it.

So ask yourself what you value more: a new computer and iPod right now or pay more for the same laptop and a iPod (not even sure if its going to change) for more money much later.

When you are in the market for a mac, you have to buy when you need, trying to time purchase with the latest gadget will put you on the waiting schedule forever.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I bought an iBook in March (my first laptop) and am *extremely* happy that I sold it and bought a PowerBook. Now, I happen to be a Graphic Design major, but I'd reccomend searching the forums for comparison/advice.

When I bought my iBook, it made the most sense (budget and all). I was happy with it, all of it. But I never really realized how much better the PowerBook is... I thought most of the posts where people touted the PB over the iBook was just "my computer's better than yours" syndrome. But I have to say, the PB is a *much* nicer machine.

Just give it some thought ;)

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well refurbs come and go. Check back.

On the rebates, they do state that products are subject to availability. I would also think that Apple might have a different name for the 4G iPods in order to work around the the Cram and Jam rebates.