reason to wait on macbook till after wwdc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MBMatt11, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. MBMatt11 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2003
    #1
    I would like to get a macbook for college, which starts in late august so there is no rush. That being said I wouldn't mind one now. Do you think there is a reason to wait till after WWDC, such as new software (ilife or leapord), price drops, or a new ipod (since I get a rebate for an ipod when I buy it). Thank you.
     
  2. crees! macrumors 68000

    crees!

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2003
    Location:
    MD/VA/DC
    #2
    I would see what promotions are out now, if any, and go from there. I wouldn't expect updates, price drops, software upgrades till much later.

    iLife won't be out till Jan 2007 and Leopard will be out then to a few months after.
     
  3. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #3
    If there's no rush, I'd wait it and and see what happens. Considering that the iPod rebate runs through September 16, 2006, I'd say the best thing to do is wait.
     
  4. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

    jer2eydevil88

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2004
    Location:
    USA
    #4
    Rumors are suggesting a new Macbook Pro in September to coencide with the release of the Merom processors from Intel. No promises but if you want 30 - 40% speed increases then see if you can wait.

    If you need one without a doubt for use starting in August and cannot wait then just go ahead now and get a free iPod with your new computer.
     
  5. YS2003 macrumors 68020

    YS2003

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location:
    Finally I have arrived.....
    #5
    It seems waiting till WWDC would be a good idea as Apple will give some previews on the next OS (Leopard). I would like to see what would be the recommended specs for the Macs. My guess is that current MBP and MB should run the next OS well; but, I would like to make sure of it.

    Also, there have been many threads on heat and noise issues with the current MBP and MB. Maybe new intel chip will fix that problem.
     
  6. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #6
    i know it's hard to wait, but that's what i'm trying to do. wait until after the event, just in case
     
  7. technicolor macrumors 68000

    technicolor

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2005
    Location:
    ><><><><
    #7
    I was told by an Apple employee(not one who works in the stores either) that there will be no updates to any of the notebooks until next year.

    take that for what is worth...
     
  8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #8
    If you're not in a rush, I would wait the extra month just to make sure. Merom will be out around that time and who knows, Jobs might release an upgraded MacBook. Although I don't know how likely this is, you never know with Steve! ;)

    As for software, as others have said, don't wait - iLife 07 will be released at MWSF (Jan '07) and Leopard will undoubtedly be released around that time period as well.

    Above all else though, make sure you buy a machine that meets your needs. Your computer will be obsolete the day you buy it, so just make sure it suits your needs and you'll be fine. :cool:
     
  9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #9
    That is 100% pure, Grade A insanity.
     
  10. manic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    #10
    I fail to find grounds to take you seriously. If you indeed talked to an "apple insider" who knew about such products, he would be legally oblidged to tell you he cannot comment on unnanounced products. perhaps you mistaken this with "there will be no new products". Apple has fired and sued employees over leakage and ill not go into the detail on how they find out who did it here, but they can.
     
  11. freestyleguy128 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia
    #11
    I agree with Manic... Apple is not just going to sit around while windows based computer companies distribute merom, woodcrest, and conroe core 2 duo computers. Based on Apple's past history, they'll be announcing computers with the updated chips as soon as possible after intel announces them. Intel Roadmap = Apple Roadmap.
     
  12. alec macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #12
    I wouldn't hold your breath for new MacBooks, but new MacBook Pro's are definitely plausible!
     
  13. emaja macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #13
    There is no way that Apple would introduce a new line of Macs that would not be able to run the very next OS release well. It would be absolutely stupid of them to piss off all those switchers and people like me who waited until the Intels were out to get a MacBook.

    Leopard will run and run very well on any currently shipping Mac.
     
  14. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

    DJMastaWes

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec
    #14
    And older macs? an iMac G4 maybe?
     
  15. daveL macrumors 68020

    daveL

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Location:
    Montana
    #15
    Merom is pin compatible with Yonah. A MBP update to Merom is a no-brainer. And your Apple "source" has no brain. This is one of the *most* obvious updates in Apple history. Not to mention, it puts a bit more space between MB and MBP, performance wise. BTW, the performance boost for Merom vs Yonah is 20% at the same frequency, with similar power consumption (heat). I don't know where the 40% claim from a previous post came from (well, maybe I do :).
     
  16. emaja macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #16
    It's likely, but that was not what I was saying.

    I also seriously doubt that Leopard would not run on most G4s. There might be some eye candy that might not work, but this is not the update that will start putting recently shipped PPCs out into the cold.

    It is reasonable to think that 10.6 will start weeding out some older G4s and the rest of the G3s.

    I think that 10.7 will be the big break, but I have nothing to back that up other than a belief that the Intel-based Macs will not be in the majority until then.
     
  17. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

    smartalic34

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #17
    as many say... if you need it now, buy, and if not, then wait. I purchased a MBP for college 2 days ago and I love it. I'm sure it will last me 4 years, and I dont regret not waiting for merom at all. If I needed that extra 20% speed, I would have waited, but Pages, iChat, Safari, etc programs like those arent going to tax a 2 ghz core duo. I'm also sure 10.5 and 10.6 will run perfectly fine on my computer. in other words, a macbook or macbook pro purchased today will probably suit your needs. the question is, do you need the extra speed and can you go a couple more months without a new laptop?

    also, I doubt macbooks will get merom, at least until the winter, but macbook pros will assuredly get meroms in august, or at worst september, so if you are going to wait, a MBP is your best bet... if you are holding out on a merom based macbook, buy now:)
     
  18. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    #18
    Speedbumps for both MB and MBP lines in the near future (ie, right around WWDC) wouldn't be a huge surprise. Intel just released a 2.33GHz Core Duo. Since that's only 6 weeks away, you might want to wait, or you might find after WWDC that the computer you just bought will be a couple hundred dollars cheaper.
     
  19. finnns2000 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location:
    Pineapple under the sea
    #19
    Although I would like the new Merom processor in my MBP, my MBP is loaded with a 2.0 ghz Core Duo and 2 GB of RAM, I'll be fine for 10.5. You will too, just get a good amount of memory and you're good with a Core Duo.
     
  20. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2005
    #20
    There are too many things that will probably be released and previewed (ie Mac Pro, MacBook Pro upgrades, XServes, and Leopard) that a MacBook refreshments won't happen at WWDC, however anything is possible.
     
  21. true777 macrumors 6502a

    true777

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2000
    Location:
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    #21
    I think you can just go ahead and buy.
    I think the likelihood of upgraded MacBooks is minimal at best.
    really don't think there will be upgrades. And you have to buy at *some point*. So just go ahead, get your academic discount and free iPod and be happy.
     
  22. javierbds macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Location:
    Madrid, Spain
    #22

    Mmm ... IF this is TRUE, and I mean the fact of him being what you say and saying what you said he said, THEN it means there will be updates before the year ends ... :rolleyes: ELSE he will be shot

    BUT THEN, if I can reason like this, he will be shot either way ...
    I think I have read too much Smullyan ... :p

    OTOH, I think updated iPods are comming, probably just after the discount ends ... (October?)

    In the end, like everybody else says, if you can wait, wait, but if you need it now and you feel the offer is good go for it. Waiting for the event (August) is reasonable.
    There is the possibility of Merom in MacBooks Pro, and reading the reviews later can aid in evaluating replacing the chip in your MacBook later, but I do not think MacBooks will be updated to Merom in the near future (2006) ...


    I'm going to wait until Leopard for a Merom iMac ... <Repeat to myself> I can, I can, I can ...
    I got a G4 iBook, bought it with last years edu discount and, it is the computer I've got more good vibes for my buck since my good old speccy 48K (1985) ... Sniff
     
  23. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #23
    What about that elusive bluetooth mighty mouse???

    Back to the original post. I'm sure the new PowerMac will be announced at WWDC it's the show pony Steve wants to display.

    As for Tiger release and Mac compatibility, well there is no doubt current Intel Macs will run Tiger and all it's features.

    If you want the new Mac now then do what millions have done already and get it. You won't be disadvantaged in any way.
     
  24. javierbds macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Location:
    Madrid, Spain
    #24
    Wrong cat, I guess you mean Leopold ... I mean Leopard :D
     
  25. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #25
    Whoops... yeah Leopard :D
     

Share This Page