Reasons for War

Discussion in 'Community' started by sturm375, Jan 21, 2003.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

I am intersted in what you guys think are valid reasons {insert your country here} should ever go to war. Please don't name any specific country you'd like to go to war with, just what in your minds would justify a massive number of deaths.

As for myself, I would say, in no particular order:

- Attacked by another nation. (This includes economic attacks as well)

- Another country is commiting atracitites (ie genocide and such).

- A neighbor/friendly country is attacked by another country.

- Lastly, and least likely, if God came down and said: "Go to war with {Blank}!"

2. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

-distract attention from your failed domestic policy.
    -distract attention away from a faltering economy.
    -see how good all those expensive gadgets really are.
    -finish daddy's business.
    -you hate guys with mustaches.
    -nothing good was on tv.

3. painimies macrumors member

4. macmax macrumors regular

Kaboom!!!
    You just hit the nail.

Why does Mr. Bush want a war?
    Maybe he has nothing to do .
    I am against it.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Some of the above But really who wants to send their kids off to war or themselves? But on the other hand if we dont rid the world of these tyrants/dictators/killers/powermungers/ and get this civil rights abusers who will? answer know one! and with the way technology and information is going any dictator thug could kill a lot of people if he so wished such as _________________________ you can fill this in with your favorite! a. 1 from Europe that we did get rid of
    b. one from Asia who we would like to get rid of or
    c. one from the Mid east who we are going to get rid of
    A lot of these european countries are doing just what they did with that good ol boy hitler. Lets just pretend we are all friends and everything will be fine! Didnt Kuwait do this?

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Topic, stay on topic. Strum got a good idea going. Don't turn this into another Bush bashing sesson!

Reasons to go to war. There are two.
    1) Protect the national security of the US.
    2) Protect your vital interests overseas.

Those are the only two reasons. Everything will fall into those to catagories.

7. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

To add to Backtothemacs answer...

3) Clean up Europe's mess

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

1.) your father started a job and didnt finish it....
    2.)you yourself couldnt finish a job so you need a distraction.....
    3.)the nation generally does not change presidents in the middle of a war so your job is safe....

9. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Mostly, but you forgot
    -puppet syndrome. (Republicans are puppets for the military)
    -military power compensating for low self esteem
    -distract attention away from failing foreign policy
    -oil
    -distract attention from the fact that Bin Lauden hasn't been caught
    -alternative to show he's fighting terrorism somewhere, somehow
    -Saddam made fun of his horse
    -pick on the little guy to make himself look bigger (bully syndrome)
    -distact attention from North Korea
    -his failed geography test on locating Iraq
    -person with proof on the Iran Contra scandal is holed up there
    -distracts attention while he makes abortion illegal
    -war gives reasons for more military funding

The thing that gets me the most flustered, is this war will cost 9 billion a month. We are already in knee deep debt, why not wait 3 months, take that 27 billion and -

-feed the homeless
    -give healthcare to every citizen
    -find cure for aids
    -fund research on alternative engery
    -put back into social security

This is just stupid. Iraq is nothing (in terms of military oppent) so what's the point? If it's just Saddam, then send in some SEAL teams to wet works his ass. I just don't understand this Texas swinging dick country attitude.

We think parts of world hate us now....

10. Kid Red macrumors 65816

But it is a Bush bashing session as Bush has no reason mentioned to attack Iraq.

11. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Hey, I think Bush is the uberwiener, too, but this is way off topic.

Reasons to go to war:

I'll take B2TM's first reason, but not his second. Overseas interests is just too broad. I mean, we have an interest in seeing a weaker Euro, but I don't think we should go to war with Europe.

Otherwise, the real reason to go into war is a direct threat against your liberty. I'm not advocating revolution in the US, our rights haven't been eroded enough to warrant that yet, but continuing down this path is likely to cause revolution sentiment. Remember, that is how we got the US in the First place. Real Patriots know that it is about the ideals of the government, not the personal plans of those elected.

Y'all remember...Give me Liberty or give me ...

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The point is this -we know he's been working on the bomb ( Hell we found one of his crownies with 3000 documents hidden in his house ) and has and used chemical and bio weapons this is not in dispute what is is where is all the stuff. Deep underground i would guess and Blix & the buddies wont find that. Screw the world, history shows they dont know whats good for them! Europe has never learned this that is why Dictators have allways done so well around them! Remember even Bill wanted to bomb saddam and the tyrant in Korea but was busy getting a b.j. if memory serves. We dont want to kill Iraqi's Just Get rid of saddam & the gang! DONT YOU PEOPLE REALIZE WHAT HE AND THE KOREAN TYRANT HAVE DONE TO THEIR OWN PEOPLE?? Excuse me while i bury my head in the sand so i can join you all. Hey its kind of dark in here!:D

13. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I agree that there is a need for regeime change in Iraq. ut full out war isn't regieme change, is just carnage. Remove the dictator, not slaugher the people. We can bomb Iraq for decades and never touch Hussein, his bunkers are deep and hs wehreabouts are almost impossible to discern. We must persue every other avenue before going to war. Iraq does not present a direct threat to the United States. We have enough to worry about on our own soil.

War is always defeat. It is giving up on humanity and intellect. It is the last bastion of braying morons, looking to exstinguish what they disagree with rather than be reasonable.

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

No kid, this isn't a bush bashing session, or about any war, or about any country. This is about war in general. Reread the first post, but clean your eyes first.

KEEP IT ON TOPIC DAMNIT!

15. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Number two means vital national interests. Meaning, if a country invades a country that we get 90% of our oil from, then we obviously have to go to war over it. If someone nukes a friendly country of ours. If someone is sinking our ships on the way over here. If someone is aiding terrorists. If someone is planning to take us out, etc, etc.

16. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Grow up and get a life, I was replying to a post, not talking to you:rolleyes:

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I am grown up. I simply asked that we keep the thread on topic and that we not bastardize what he was trying to get at by turning this into a Bush bashing session.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

To keep it on topic the main reason is US interest and the worlds interest. unfortunatly the world does not do anything abouts its interest and since the worlds interest is the US interest this all falls right back on our lap. The UN is a joke and a place for politicians but as far as being a body to prevent similiar atrocities like those that happened in WWII for which it was founded IT HAS FAILED MISERBLY and again its up to the US because if we dont do anything the bottom line is no one else will. SO when everyone is looking the otherway we have to take notice of koreans being starved by there own govt, or saddam and what he has done to his own people and others. Who do you think was paying for those suicide bombers in ISREAL. Unfortunately the US has to be the police of the world because if we are not the world will fall into chaos and that is the sad truth. Momma use to say a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The world cannot afford to have Tyrants/Dictators/Killers running any country--NOT A ONE! That is a reason for war.

19. sturm375 thread starter macrumors 6502

Reason #2 in reference to my opening question. Although I have yet to hear this used in any argument for the invasion of Iraq. Saddam has commited many atrocities against the people he governs. Because of this alone, I think we have a duty to our fellow humans, to "clean house" a little.

I hadn't inteded this thread to be Pro-Bush or Anti-bush, but as all this, it evolves (unless you are a fundamentelist).

20. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    to protect our geographic bounderies and the people within those bounderies. and only when actually physically threated.

thats it.

if any of our allies need our help, then it should be decided by the will of the american people by a legitimate unanimous vote. not representatives, not electoral votes but by the people themselves.

i mean, who's afraid of a free vote in a free country?

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Does protecting our vital interests fall under protecting our boarders? By this decree we would have never gone after Germany in WWII, or been involved in WWI at all.
    Yes, but that is not how this country works. We elect our officials who we trust to make the correct judgement.

22. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

add one to the list...

Oil Lust due to the shrinking of national oil reserves and the insane resistance to alternative energy sources.

23. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Why don't you back off backtothemac, you didnt even start this thread, just because you didnt like what he said gives you no right to try and be a bully....SPG's post did not break any of the rules of the forum.

24. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    no, protecting our vital interests does not fall under protecting our borders.

once again, if our allies request our help then put it up for majority vote.

and yes, i'm well aware of how our country presently works but i'm afraid the system is in need of an overhaul. our country and it's position in the world have changed drastically since ww1 and ww2. with our greater power and responsibilties comes a need for a better system of checks and balances.

as much as i think our founding fathers were brilliant in their foresight, theres no way a system of government that was devised in 1776 can carry forward ad infinitum without adjustment. what was once a system of the common man's guarantee of representation has turned into the common man's method of avoiding responsibility.