Reasons Why England Should Join the US as the 51st State

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clayj, Apr 21, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. So football (soccer) will finally get the respect here that it deserves. (MLS is OK, but it doesn't really compare to the Premier League, in my opinion.)
    2. Superior grasp of the English language by Brits will rub off on Americans everywhere. (And we Anglophones need to stick together.)
    3. British pubs will finally be able to teach Americans how fish and chips is properly prepared. (You use a flat fish like plaice or flounder, not a lumpy fish like cod!)
    4. Brits will finally be able to take advantage of superior American technology pricing.
    5. It would give Brits a good reason to send the Royal Family packing (to Australia, probably).
    6. We could replace American newsanchors with British newsreaders.
    7. You don't want to join the US *after* Canada, Australia, or New Zealand have already joined. Ask Hawai'i; nobody likes to be the last kid on the bus.

:)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha, i can't wait for the flames to start in this thread, i have a feeling ill be doing a lot of laughing and shaking of my head, perhaps America should join the UK instead of the other way around? ;)

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

"Sorry we bit the hand that fed us over 200 years ago, we'd like to rejoin youse guys!" I'm sure that'd go over real well. :p

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

We can also teach the English how to drive on the "right" side of the road! :D
    We could convert to pounds or Euros, and not worry about inflation (at least for a while)
    Tony Blair could be our Vice President.
    We could build a tunnel to Liverpool.

5. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

8. We (Americans) might finally learn the difference between 'England' and 'UK'/'Britain'

:p

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

But that would leave us with a predicament, England joins the US, while there is a New England which was created after England was created but joined the states earlier O_O people would get confused.

and just so i can get flamed :p

Baseball >>>> Soccer

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hookay...

And the hooligans, probably.
    You might be surprised. Most Brits are as incomprehensible as most Americans.
    Dunno about that. They could certainly teach you lot a thing or two about microwaves.
    That I agree with.
    No further reason needed. But don't be so hard on Australia: I'm sure Mugabe would be delighted to put them up.
    That sounds good.
    I can wait.

:)

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I want the good scotch and beer!

US would be the winner in that match, UK may hate it though. So what happens to N Ireland?
    Better yet, no customs in the bahamas! Boundless good would come from this. Submit your proposal to the UN! :p

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't think we're quite ready for your Dear Leader.

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Maybe your votes would sway the balance! You could then be responsible for freeing the world! With out a shot I might add. And in kind, you have to get rid of the royals.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'd be only too happy to oblige on that front. Bunch of parasites.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Don't forget about York, England, not to be confused with New York, or with York, Alabama. Or Birmingham, England, not to be confused with Birmingham, also Alabama. Or Edinburgh, Scotland, not to be confused with Edinburgh, South Dakota (I think). The list probably goes on.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yeah, just how many nautical miles apart are they anyway?

14. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I can't stand when Americans say that another country should be added as their 51st state. That just really ticks me off.

The one I hear all the time is that Canada should be added as the 51st state (and sometimes also that they should send all their criminals up there)

15. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

I was being rather facetious... but it's not just Americans who have done this. Sir Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter (both good Englishmen) suggested in their novel The Light of Other Days that England (and Wales, but not Scotland or Northern Ireland) would secede from the EU and join the US to become part of the American economy.

And besides, Canada is obviously large enough to become SEVERAL states... with a disproportionately large number of Senators. :)

16. AnewMac macrumors regular

I dont want England as a state.

Can you imagine all of our local girls flocking to the english accent!?! The thought alone is terrifying. :eek:

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just think of how much sooner you would have had the iTunes store! :D And just think of how much better edesignusa sounds! :eek: ;) :D

(And I don't think Clay is a Brit-hater or ethnocentric!)

18. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Certainly not. I lived in England for three years, so I appreciate everything it has to offer. And don't underestimate the effect that all those millions of English voters would have on the US political system... the English would comprise almost 15% of the electorate.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...but Tony Blair backs George W, and it looks like he's going to do well for himself in May. I think that should be enough reason to bring the Canadians in first. :D We can beta-test out indoctrination program on them, with their crazy gravy-on-fries thinking, and then we'll get the Brits. 'Sides....this way, we get several months during which we can keep all the Tim Hortons' to ourselves! :)

20. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

RRRoll Up The Rim To Win!!!

sorry i love saying that :eek:

BTW clay very nice avatar, can't wait till April 29th :D

21. diamond geezer macrumors regular

The British make the worst fish and chips in the world.

Go to a pommie chippie and they give you soggy wet chips that have been sitting in a warming drawer to 10 minutes.

Kiwi F & C are vastly superior.

Also regarding
    Please don't confuse NZ with those Bush arse-kissing Aussies

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Clay, who is that in your avatar?

Diamond, there's just one thing I don't understand. Every single word you just said. :eek: ;) :D

23. diamond geezer macrumors regular

24. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i'll watch CNN over BBC and my national CBC any day

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I see you have very strong feelings about that. Tell me more. :D

But I feel you on the soggy chips thing...I personally hate burnt ones even more, but there's definitely an art to good chips.

Just pray, though, that when the Union Jack is traded in for the 51-stars-and-stripes, that we don't replace your beer! That would be a sad, sad day! :(