Reasons why not to choose the eMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by LethalWolfe, Feb 8, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Besides the whole f**ked screen thingy which Apple is already taking care of.

My parents want to replace their PII 266 running Win95 (thank god) and I'm trying to get them into a Mac (visiting the Apple store tomorrow afternoon w/them). Looking at prices and what my parents' needs are I think I'm going to try and sell them on the mid-level eMac. All they need is on-line and Word abilities. And maybe some iTunes and iPhoto action. There is a way outside chance that they'll want to use iMovie and iDVD so they can play w/old home movies that probably won't happen.

I told them to hold off until the new iMacs came out, but the new pricing and product line kinda screwed that pooch. Granted the iMacs look cooler, but for $1299 you get a bigger screen and a superdrive on the eMac.

Is there any achille's heel I don't know 'bout that I should know about before I convice them this should be their next machine? I played w/one at the Apple store and it seemed pretty snappy.

Thanx,
    Lethal

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Reasons why not to choose the eMac?

Go for it. I think they're ugly, and they don't meet my requirements, but for basic use, they're fine.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

what do you mean by bigger screen for 1299. all the emac screens are the same and the screen on the emac wont be bigger than the imac. it will be the same probably as the lcd since they are measured a little bit differently. you usually add an inch on the lcd and drop an inch on the crt. other than that i play with the emac all the time. the only problems where the first ones in production. other than that it is a great buy. plus it uses bigger ram so you wont be paying as much for ram.

iJon

4. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Oh, I didn't know you add an inch to LCD size and the eMac is 16" viewable so yeah, I guess they are the same size. :)

I think the thing is kinda clunky, but currently my parents are using an old 15" monitor w/built in speakers so the eMac is roughtly the same size as their current monitor.

Lethal

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

In CRT sizes, the iMac would have a 16" screen. The eMac does have a larger viewable area.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Listen to ijohn, the 15 imac is almost a 17 crt. a 17 crt is actually a 16 i know cause i got one. actually though it sounds like a classic would suit your parents but we all know you can do better. The base imac is a good machine but again the best thing is to park them in front of what apple offers and then let them see what they can really afford and need. be sure to show them itunes and iphoto cause those are 2 great apps!Also ask the store if they have any imac lcd left overs who knows they might and have a good discount.emac- imac are both great consumer machines and should handle all of their needs for many many years with out the wintel headaches.If they dont have a digital camera they should think about one of those because with iphoto film is obsolete! Good luck and enjoy!

7. vanillamike macrumors regular

Hi,

I have an eMac and I love it. This was my first ever mac purchase so I can't compare performance vs other macs.

However, I used an 800 mhz pro tower all summer when I worked for a graphic designer and I can't tell the difference, speed wise, between it and my 800 mhz eMac.

I have to admit I had the dreaded "raster shift" display problem. However the apple tech ordered the part and replaced it in about 4 days and I haven't had a problem since. So as far as a problems with the build of the eMac I think that is really the only one I've heard of, and they seem to have resolved it.

As far as recomendations, I highly recomend upgrading the ram (PC 133 ram is cheap now and Jaguar loves it), and buying the tilt and swivel stand, and if you are really into music the iSub works nicely with the built in speakers (you can even control the iSub's volume in Jaguar).

Good luck with your "switch",

Mike Burns

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the long run, you will be happier if you got the lcd imac

but the emac is only slightly less capable overall imho and is still way better than the crt imac with the g3 chip

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I think the emacs ares nice.

Cheap, Big resolution, superdrive is cheap model, I like them

10. dricci macrumors 6502a

The eMac screen is a Flat CRT, so it is technically bigger than the 15" iMac LCD (even when you convert it to traditional domed CRT sizes). Plus the eMac resolutions are higher than the iMac. I don't think I could stand ever going back to 1024x768! The eMacs are a great deal now, at $999 you get a ComboDrive, and for $1299 you can get a SuperDrive. I say go for the eMac. Just make sure you get the $60 stand to go along with it, it really helps with ergonomics :D

11. dricci macrumors 6502a

12. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

13. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just got back from the Apple store w/my parents and they are going w/a new Mac. :D

It's either going to be an eMac w/superdrive, or a 15" iMac w/superdrive (gonna hit some resellers and see what prices I can find).

We spent a hour and a half in the Apple Store and that's the most fun computer shopping they've ever had.

All that's left for me to do is to save up some $$$ so I can buy a laptop after the next upgrades. :)

Lethal

14. cubist macrumors 68020

You know that, having looked at both of them, they are going to go with the iMac. You don't need the superdrive, the combo drive will do just fine. Enjoy!

15. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

if you get one, go online first thing and get LOTS of RAM. The eMac with low RAM amounts is TERRIBLE, ive used it with 128, and X speed is just ugly. whatever you do, DO NOT buy Apple RAM, its a huge ripoff.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Glad to hear it . Hope they got a good look at iphoto and itunes. whatever they choose it will be great . After All they are all MACS!;)

17. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, side by side the eMac is kinda the red-headed step child isn't it? ;) If I can find an old 15" w/superdrive that doesn't cost an arm in a leg then that's what they want. And my mother (the quasi-ludite that she is) wants to start burning home movies to DVD. :D

RE RAM: yeah, there is going to be at least 256 in there.

I'm glad they decided to go Mac. At first they were lookin' at those $599 after rebate PCs from Office Max or something and I was like, "AAahhhh... no!" But that potential tragedy has been averted. ;)

Lethal