Rebate Check (Student Union)???????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Peter Griffin, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

I, like many others on this board, have been tempted by the new student union offer. I was planning on getting an iBook along with an iPod mini and printer but have held back. I have enrolled in college but have decided to hold out for one semester. My plan is to move overseas (Hong Kong) for 6 months. Here's my question.

How long does the rebate check for the student union deal last? Would it be possible to get one of my relatives to send me the check from the states and cash it in Hong Kong? I'm planning on purchasing and then leaving shortly afterwards.

Anyway thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. I need to know this since it will greatly affect my decision. :cool:

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Someone in the US can cash the check and then send you the money. Wouldn't that be easier?

3. akm macrumors member

Do you mean if they mail you a cheque, how long after that you can still cash it?

Don't quote me on this, but first it can take (according to Apple's terms and conditions) 6-8 weeks (or so) for them to even get the cheque to you. After that, I think most business cheques are valid for at least 6 months, unless they have a stated expiry (not positive on this, but I recall hearing this).

You should be able to cash it in HK, but bear in mind that it can take up to a few weeks for an overseas cheque to clear.

4. akm macrumors member

True, but the cheque would be made payable to him (unless he sends in the rebate form under a different, i.e. relatives name, in which case it should be all good), and so while in practice, it should be easy enough for someone to cash it on his behalf, in theory no one else should be able to do so.

5. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking about having someone send it over and cashing it in HK. Would this be a problem?

6. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It all depends on your bank, really. My bank here in the US gave me hell when I tried to cash a check from Canada, and at first said they wouldn't do it. Then they decided they would do it, but for a ridiculous fee. Again, having some one else cash it for you and Paypal or send you the money is much easier in this case.

8. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

I see...

Has anyone whose gone through the rebate process know how long the check is valid?

9. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I used the earlier summer discount ($100 rebate). I sent everything they asked for the day after receiving shipment of the iBook. The check arrived in four weeks. The check had, printed on it, a line saying it was valid for 60 days after the printed date.

10. polythene pam macrumors member

Can't someone just deposit it into your bank account? Then you can use your check card at an ATM abroad to get the money. I know Bank of America has partnered with a bunch of banks abroad so that the $5 fee for using a foreign ATM is waived. Check with your bank.

And have FUN in Hong Kong!!!! :) What a great idea, to live there for a semester! You'll love the experience!

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

good advice from polythene pam!

all somebdoy has to do is take the check to your bank and deposit it - it doesn't even need to be endorsed - the bank will deposit it in your account and then you'll have access to the money with your ATM card while you're traveling - I do this all the time for a friend who is a flight attendant and is constantly needing checks deposited while she's overseas

12. asqy macrumors regular

wow do you still have student unions in the US ?

13. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

yup

Just a quick question, I didn't think this deserved its own thread so I'll psot it here.

How will I go about getting the rebate for both the printer and ipod (student deal) if they both ask for UPC labels. ALso, do I need to purchase all three at once and have them all on the same receipt.

Thanks

14. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

the check will last for a while, but you will have a hard time cashing it in Hong Kong because of Chinese Banking regulations, better to have someone mail you the money or put it in your american bank account.

15. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

He can make it payable to him and have his relative sign it on the back (forge his signature) and then cash it. If they get away with it, the only person that can get them in trouble is him, which he won't do because he told them to. :p

16. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Yes, they must all be on the same receipt. You can ask them to print multiple receipts, one for each offer, and one for your records. Then just make a copy of the UPC for your computer and send that in for the ipod deal. Apple employees told me this was OK to do, and lo and behold, my rebate checks both came in this past week.

17. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

I see...

If I were to buy everything under a student discount and then leave the country for non academic reasons would they still verify my student status with the school when I try turn in the rebate form?

18. asqy macrumors regular

Is student unionism voluntary in the US?

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

As far as I know, there aren't any actual student unions; Apple is simply using the phrase as the name for this rebate (perhaps to mean the union of Apple + students?).