REBATES: Tell you where the new stuff is...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by tcmcam, Jun 14, 2002.

1. tcmcam macrumors member

Jun 14, 2002
    Everybody's curious about MWNY. Well, we all have some good ideas what's going to be upgraded based upon Apple's current rebates. They have rebates on all the stuff they are trying to get rid of. The rebate expiration dates tell you all about when the new stuff is coming.

#1. $200 - $300 on PowerMac's. The PowerMac line is obviously going to get redone. Perhaps the innards of the XServe (ATA100, Faster PCI Bus, Faster Memory). Hopefully we'll also get a new QUIET case with better drive options. Rebates expire early July, good week gap before MWNY.

#2. $200 - $300 off on Apple's 17" and 22" LCD displays. Again, I see the 17" going away. They'll keep the 15" for the cheap low end folks. They'll start at a 19" LCD and perhaps just ditch the 22" display and make people buy the 23" instead. Rebates expire early July, again, MWNY.

#3. OS X promotion for free photographs expires early September. Trying to get those last few OS 9 users to put up some cash to pay for the OS X upgrade before Jaguar ships.

Now, if I could just go to sleep and wake up on July 17th, I wouldn't wait every day just to see what those new G4 (1.4ghz) towers are going to look like!!! :(
  2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I agree...

I agree with everything BUT the idea of ditching the 17in display...
  3. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    Re: I agree...

Yep... Apple is more likely to ditch the 15" and add a 17". LCDs are not really low end consumer oriented yet... not Apple's, anyway.
  4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA

I'd be happy with a refresh at current sizes accompanied by a price drop.

The 15" and 17" are based on pretty old LCD technology. Update those puppies with better viewing angle, contrast/brightness, color display and response time and you've got some badass LCDs.
  5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    I agree.
    When I bought my system, I ruled out the 15 inch cuz it pretty much sucks. For less, you could buy a generic 19 inch CRT and it would have a higher resolution and would work fine in that snazzy new videocard that came on the new G4.

I just had a revalation. Did u ever notice that g4, while pressing the shift key, turns into G$. Maybe thats why their so damn expensive. :)
  6. el_aarono macrumors member

Jun 19, 2002
  7. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002

The G3 was the first G Number used to designate a model, and the G5 is going to increase Apple's percentage of market share.
  8. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    G% : It better!

I noticed the rebates as well. They did this as well before the new iMac was released. It's been done before every major hardware announcement. I guess it is just to try get rid of their surplus stocks.
  9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    HA HA!! Nice, didnt even think about that. U and I have too much time to think about this stuff.