Rebirth of the Cube?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by G4scott, Jun 28, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

According to This article at AtAT, Apple bought a song from some artist to use in their "new cube computer software"

Could this just be old news, a fake rumor, or the truth?

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The Cube was nice at it's moment but it is a machne with too many limitations. I do not think it will be back, Apple can not handle experiments at this time.

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I would love a new cube to come out, I have total respect for the cube, it rocks :)

If we don't bring it back soon we might end up with this:

Attached Files:

4. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

ok, hopefully not.

Just to clear up, i didn't create that picture, i found it on a m$ hate site.

Ensign

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If that was from a m$ hate site, why did they bash the Mac so hard by putting the heXPee logo onto it???

Those bastards, I bet they killed Kenny too.... :p

6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

man... that picture makes me feel like vomitting...

7. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

I thought this was going to be commentary about the G4 imac Luxo Jr being called the "New Cube" because of backlogs clogging the inventory. Maybe there will be a MWNY special to blow out the luxo Juniors at 3 benjys less....

Anyway, What was wrong with the cube the first time around?

Got the answer yet?

Price. It should have sold around the same price as the current iMacs, which at least had a monitor built in.

There are segments where space is a concern, and flexibility in upgrading is not so, and they usually buy a lot of computers at once. Business and education. People who may already have monitors they wish to continue using.

I thought if the Cube had been priced at three figures, and been bundled with a telephony iApp (Something that could take caller ID from a phone line, and pull up an FileMaker file on the caller, and save the call time etc...), it could have sold in the numbers it was produced. Or if it were stackable like bricks for multiprocessing; but we have Xserve now.

8. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

If Apple could sell a cube for less than a thousand bucks, I think that they might make some money... That's kinda what the eMac is... Just make the cube with a 700-800 mhz processor, DVD/CDRW, 30-40 gig HD, up to a gig of RAM, and all the good stuff, but sell it at just the right price...

9. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Though I am a happy owner of a 500MHz Cube, I don't think Apple needs to or should bring it back as their product line is all ready complete (if not a little bloated).

Bill

10. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

apple's main problem was that the cube was meant to accomodate pro users -- however, pro users didnt like it cause it wasnt expandable enough.

it was too expensive and powerful for the consumer level.

11. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

cube..

i think the Cube was my favorite Mac of all time, and i've had plenty. it was perfect for my needs at the time which were mainly audio. the no-fan thing was great for recording. expandibility never became an issue because of Firewire. if they came out with a special edition or anniversary Cube i'd probably buy it in a second. IMHO it was the perfect machine...and damn sexy too. wishing i never sold it.

12. theaz macrumors member

Definitely a great looking machine. Thats why i got one, and I have no interest in replacing it any time soon either even if a new one does come out (well, we'll see anyway). I am forever having pc users being wowzed by its looks. Of course, any mac product will do that nowadays...

The idea of stackable cubes did not seem smart to me, and i am glad that they were never released despite appleinsiders ascertains that they were under development. The xserve is definitely the way to go for that sorta stuff.

btw, is anyone here aware of a cube dedicated site. I want to replace the DVD player in this thing for a superdrive, and I am sure that it is possible. It is just a matter of knowing how...

13. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

hmmm...

i never heard the stackable cubes rumor. that sounds interesting. as for putting a superdrive in, i think it can be done. hell, someone put dual 500mhz proc in one. i think that the optical drives in the cubes are the same as the ones in the powerbooks, or is that the HD? i know it has something super-slim in there somewhere. maybe if they release one for the powerbooks you could pop one in. that would be cool. now i'm getting cube fever. i miss that thing.

14. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

An even bigger problem IMO was that the cube was released at the point when x86 machines had just started to rocket in MHz and Apple hadn't thought through exactly how they were supposed to scale the clock speed of the cube without increasing the dimensions. In other words, the cube had very little future-proofing.

The cooling was pretty much at an optimal level with the production cubes, I'm told. If Apple had tried to intro an 800 MHz cube or whatever, they wouldn't have been able to keep it fan-less and therefore would have upset a lot of the audio pros etc who bought them.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who really needs it?

How many of those who moan about expandability ever actually need more than the Cube offers? One in a hundred? A lot of people seem to live in a fantasy world where they are all "power users" needing all sorts of slots for cards they will never buy. Now there's a 1 GHz upgrade available, my Cube will do me just fine for some time yet. I wouldn't have anything else on my desk, anyway (apart from the Cinema Display, of course). After all, it's a MoMA-certified Work Of Art.

Having read the article referred to, the guy seems pretty flaky from beginning to end. I'd guess he's just confused. What the hell is "cube software" anyway?

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

"skunk", what is MoMA?

But I have to agree with you. I remember a few months back there was an article, saying that there would be no faster processor upgrades for a while, and people didn't make that many accepting comments. It just goes to show you that people need the extra power.

The main reason that I don't want to upgrade is because I want a Ti500 to match the speed of my Cube, so I like neither computer more. Then, maybe in 4 years, I'll move on to a G5.

He!!, I find the only more attractive (not figuratively) computer right now to be the Ti, but I won't get one for a while, considering that I still have a well-working iBook 466. :cool:

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Museum of Modern Art, NYC - they've got one on show.

18. el_aarono macrumors member

I hope the one MoMA has doesn't look like that fruit flavored one at the top of this thread. :)

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

An iMac or eMac with a processor card and a AGP slot wouldn't be bad either. Even a PCI slot would be useful. Low chance of that happening though.

I have to admit looking at the form factor of the Cube at the time I completely overlooked the important aspects that have kept the Cube a fresh idea for so long – upgradeable innards.

But it is highly doubtful the Cube will make a comeback since it would most likely hurt sales of the iMac. Especially if it remained upgradeable and at the same point. And a non-upgradeable cube would be an iMac without the screen.

Should be interesting to find of how big an impact the eMac has had on iMac sales, considering the factory has reallocated iMac production to other projects and the number of days of inventory of iMacs is huge at Ingram.

20. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Re: Who really needs it?

where did you find a 1ghz upgrade for the Cube? I'll get on ebay and buy another Cube right now if i can drop a 1ghz proc in it! did i misunderstand you? hook a brotha up.

21. big macrumors 65816

big

the cube would have been fine for me...if and only if I could have added another monitor to it...(plus the price was a little steep)

why sell your old G3 for 300-400 bucks? I'll turn mine into a server (w/the big harddrives etc) makes sense...

good this fan next to me is!LOUD!!

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

rebirth my arse!

man that picture up there is offensive.

whew.

they should be shot with an elephant gun.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Any one seen this before? PC rip off of the cube. Yuck!

Attached Files:

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

ack! verbose you keep doing that and these eyes will fall off.

that looks pitiful. i dont even know where to begin with that one.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know, it's an outrage! I just searched on eBay UK for "cube" and this was one of the results, it's horrible!