Rebuilding the desktop in 10.3.2 necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by onealc, Jan 26, 2004.

1. onealc macrumors member

As a previous mac user, and now switched back to mac guy, I remember in the old days, it was a good idea to "rebuild your desktop" every so often on Mac system 7, etc.

Do I still need to do that now with 10.3.2? If so, how do I do that?

THANKS!

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Clearing the caches is the same thing as rebuilding the desktop database in OS9.
    Xupport is a utility that can simplify the task.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    in addition to clearing the cache, u might want to do a permissions repair, its under the disk utility thats found in the utilies folder in the applications folder

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Re: Rebuilding the desktop in 10.3.2 necessary?

This shouldn't be necessary with OS X. Even though both operating systems say "Mac" on them, there's very little (actually, pretty much nothing) under the hood that's the same.

5. onealc thread starter macrumors member

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

All that I found in the Disk Utility was Disk First Aid or is that the same?

Where do I find Xupport?

How often should these be done?

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Xupport can be found here

It's a little app which executes a couple of system management commands. Much more handy than doing all those terminal commands manually.

I do this kind of maintenance every month or so. Especially after a Mac OS 10.X.x update.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you MacsRgr8, I've just downloaded the program and put it in my Version Tracker Watch List.

I'm still not sure where to find the program to clear cache, how often should this be done?

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Here is a little util that can help you clear the caches.
    I don't do this very often. Usually if apps like Safari start behaving strangely (Safari can do this by itself though).

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Clearing the cache(s) manually?

Does someone have documentation regarding this? I have a hard time believing that any OS, or any non-alpha-version of a program, wouldn't do this automatically. Plus Unix-type programs generally have a daemon that cleans up things like the /tmp directory based on file/directory age.

11. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Re: Clearing the cache(s) manually?

The cron maintenance tasks run automatically, but at between 3 and 5 am, and only if your Mac is awake. Check out Cronnix, a simple GUI to terminal commands, and change the timings to suit when your Mac is definitely going to be awake. I have the tasks set for 10pm. Much more convenient than MacJanitor, Cocktail, Onyx.....

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

or you could just leave your mac up 24 hours a day, and let it do it's job. i have mine set to "display sleep" after a couple of hours, but the system itself never sleeps, so all of the scripts run, it keeps my 400mhz iMac running very smoothly.

paul

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your link seems to be broken.

paulwhannel, so you are saying that the Mac itself will in the active mode 24/7? Is there any damage to the CPU itself by running constantly?

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Odd... link seems to still be working for me. :confused:

But the app is called: "Cache Out X"

You can find it over at versiontracker.com