Recasing my powerbook.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CameronCampbell, Jul 4, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2006
    My g4 Powerbook has been slightly banged up. It fell twice and I want to buy a new hard case for it and recase the whole thing myself to save extra service costs. Any ideas where I can find a new case and how much it will cost to buy.
  2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Case parts are not cheap, it's part of the cost of owning a PB -- drop it and the $100 bills start flying out of the wallet.

Look at some of the prices... :eek:

or some place may have used and scratched parts available...

Look up PowerBook Parts and there are quite a few dealers around these days.
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    iFixit seems to sell just about every component for repairing Macs. They certainly have the upper and lower cases in stock for your machine.
  4. macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I would recommend eBay. You can usually get some pretty cheap case parts from people who are parting out broken machines. Heck, I got a bottom half of a Tibook for $10 to test my painting on back in the day. The parts aren't always brand new, but if your Powerbook's taken a beating already, it'll be an improvement!
  5. macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    The prices are unreal for case parts. Here's hoping I never drop my baby! (knocks on wood)
  6. macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I should sell my mint-condition/desk top queen Ti/AL PBs piece by piece, like a chop shop business model. It seems the sum of the parts is more than the value of the total package....