Reccomend me a powermac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by briangig, May 27, 2005.

1. briangig macrumors regular

I dont have the cash for a brand new G5...So I am thinking used G4, something very much base model, I can upgrade (dual cpu, HDs, memory, video maybe?). This will be used as a file server, video/photo editing, maybe games..

So which would be a worthwhile model to find and upgrade? Budget would probably be around 300-450 for the machine...I see some going for this on ebay/FS forum here..

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

For $450-500 a "nice" model will be hard to come by. Try to look for something with dual 733MHz G4s or faster.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Still a PowerMac G4 with dual processors should meet your needs as long as you are not going to be doing hardcore tasks.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Just my opinion as I am new to Macs. Rest assured, there is bound to be a great PowerMac G4 out there waiting for you (and in your price range) :)

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

A dual G4 will last 2-3 years, a dual G5 5+ years.
    Not sure how many G4's there are out there, but they will only get more abundant, as more people (pro users especially) upgrade.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree with you dmw007, but why did you post 3 times in a row. If you were finished, you could always go back and click edit to add more...

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, I should have gone back and edited my post. sorry :( . Any how, I was getting bored and was beginning to wonder if any one else was on MR. ;)

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

O ok. I was just wondering. No worries...

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Thanks, close call...whew ;)

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

get a digital audio model or higher because they have a 133 bus and 4x agp where as the sawtooth and gigabit ethernet that came before have 100 bus and 2x agp.

upgrades are cheap for all these machines as long as you don't go above 1.2GHz. the 1.3+ are where it gets up to the same cost as a mac mini or higher..

11. briangig thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys. zen.state, is that price for a single cpu? I cam finding the dual cpu upgrades are pretty high...not too bad after you consider the alternatives, and the initial cost of the powermac.

12. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

they go as high as 500 for single and 750 for dual
    http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...I=#TimeFormat(Now(),+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

here is a link to a used digital audio from a great company
    http://www.macofalltrades.com/produ...6DA1&mscssid=Q1MXQ4NQU9T89L01VF32WEDUSCR34R49

13. mukansa monkey macrumors newbie

mukansa monkey

Chances are that it's cheaper to spend a bit more up front getting a heftier processor (along with the other gear being more current) that it is to buy a really cheap core and upgrade everything. If you'll end up spending $1000, heck, you could probably get a lightly used single chip G5. Processor upgrades in particular seem to be relatively expensive. Adding memory and HD is certainly cheap compared to the processor. Depends a bit on what you want to do with it too... multimedia apps and graphics-consuming games like Warcraft & Halo are liable to have trouble with older chips/graphics cards. Word processing, photos, stuff like that should be no problem.

14. briangig thread starter macrumors regular

for those who care, I ended up getting a powermac digital audio (533), also found a dual 867 upgrade for a fairly good price, and with the parts I have laying around the house, I think I will have a sweet machine...Thanks to all who helped.