Reccomendations? 17"PB Backpack, Sleeve Combo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mangophreek, Jul 13, 2004.

1. mangophreek macrumors newbie

mangophreek

Hi,

Some of you might have read my other thread about me getting a 17" PB for next year. Others not. The short is, I'm getting a 17" Powerbook for University in the fall. It's a joint program betwen York and Sheridan, which are 40km apart so I need to take the Go bus (a Toronto bus service) a few times a week between the two.

So I'm looking for a good backpack with a padded laptop section and a laptop sleeve. Right now I'm thinking a 17" Connemara Foofbag just because it's cool and would provice a good amount of padding within a backpack. I'm also getting a Screen Saverz or whatever they are called to protect the screen.

Anyway. Has anyone had experience with the Foofbags?

For a backpack I'm thinking the North Face "Firewall" or "Bandwith" but I'm not too sure. I have a Swiss messenger/laptop bag right now (with no laptop, I've just always had a love affair with messenger bags) but I don't think it would be ideal for the amount of stuff I'll be lugging between campuses. Probably will wreck my shoulders more than it did for 4 years of highschool.

Any suggestions/stories/experiences would be great.

It might also be good information to know that I'm living on campus but it's near a bad neighbourhood (although the campus is the size of the city I live in now and is a good 3-5km away from the jane/finch ghetto.) so mugging is a fear.

2. ShermDog macrumors regular

I've used Tom Bihn bags for the past few years and love them. They have both backpacks and messenger bags that you can use with their sleeves--which are also great because they suspend your laptop in a hammock to offer greater protection in the event you drop your bag. They look pretty cool too.

They are based out of Seattle, WA and have a good website: www.tombihn.com.

3. mangophreek thread starter macrumors newbie

mangophreek

I'm not a big fan of the style for the 17"s and the brand name is starting to carry a lot of weight in the "I'm a laptop, steal me" category.