reccomendations for best portable hd set up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kopanda, Aug 10, 2006.

1. kopanda macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2006
    hi there!

my job means i am moving around a lot, and literally living out of a suitcase i am going to be in a foriegn country for about three years! ipod means i can take films and music everywhere, ibook keeps me connected with family, friends and keeps me creative, public library`s keep me up to date with books... my only problem is storage for all my photos and videos etc!!

up till now i have been backing up to cd/dvd, but after only 3 months i have about 20 cds and ever growing of photos and film to cart around which is a pain, but i like having it cuz i like being able to flick through photos and compile albums of what i`ve been up to the last three months for my family and friends on those lonely rare nights when i get some time off...

so now i`m looking to buy a portable hard disk to throw it all on... at first i was thinking of getting a 100GB pocket size thing, but all the models i look at in the shops seem so cheap and nasty, and i`m worried i`ll fill it up too soon. maybe i should just buy one for now, and a second when i need it cuz they are so small?

but recently i was thinking about maybe getting a 250GB-300GB external hd, cuz they aren`t so big to carry around...

whatever i need i need something reliable and durable though that won`t pass out on me!

anyone in a similar situation got some good advice on models/brands to get / avoid?

thanks a lot, kp
  2. williamh macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2006
    I actually on the same boat with you, as a musician and a tour manager, I travel to countless places constantly and here is what I do:

I bought a hard disk enclosure and threw a 300Gig hard drive in (actually it's cheaper from buying a external HD), and I constantly back up my audio files onto DVDs (which are my pre-mastered songs).

If your ibook does not have super drive, you can also consider an external DVD writer because each DVD can approximately hold 5 CDs.