Reccommend a PDA!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Smileyguy, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hello,

So I'm thinking of buying a PDA, but only the right one at the right price. Basically I need something below $200. Nothing too fancy, I just need it to be user-friendly and reliable, and have some decent software. A colour screen would be great, but I'm not pushy.

And if it could sync with my mac in any way at all, great.

I also need the software to be flexible. This is probably the most important thing. I'd like to be able to organise myself in my own way rather than being confined to the limits of the software.

Any recommendations?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Sounds like your a perfect candidate for a Palm Zire, you can get a color one for as little as $120. They work very well with macs and have solid software. www.palmone.com

3. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking. How well do they sync with the mac? I'm running Panther by the way. By the way, do you know if the entry-level zire (21) is worth it, or would I be better of spening the extra cash and going for the middle-range colour one (31)?

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have the zire72. sync with mac via bluetooth works just great. i sync adressbook, ical, pdf-files, word and excel. no problems yet. you just have to download the isync CONDUIT from the mac website. the isync alone doesn't do it!!! haven't tried to also sync with my pc at work yet.

andi

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I use my Tungsten|T. It works quite well, and the built in Bluetooth is great. I sync via Bluetooth quite often now... just tell it to sync, drop it in my pocket. Done with that Hotsync. Plus, 16MB of built in RAM is pretty good, and if you have the urge to cram more stuff onto it then you can buy SD cards for cheap from Fry's.

The screen is great. It is readable in all weather. Plus, it is small. There isn't a big drawback to it, really... Palm released an Audio Updater too, so that you can listen to MP3s and other music formats with much better playback quality. The headphone port is nice, too. A built in mic is also handy for voice memos...

They also have the Universal Connector on them, so any Palm accessory (keyboard, cradle, etc) with that connection will work. But just go wireless with BlueTooth!

6. JasonL macrumors regular

I'm going to recommend the Tungsten E. It lists for $199, but you could find a good deal on an open box on Overstock for under $150. It's a great organizer and plenty powerful, without things you won't need that will only run up the price.

7. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't realise you could get a Tungsten for that price. I'll have a look on eBay.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife really likes her Palm Tungsten. She paid $200 for hers at the Palm Store, local mall. It's an essential for work. She's able to download medical information. Besides her calendar.

9. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the advice. One important question I need answered - If I buy the Palm Zire 31, which doesn't have Word/Excel on it, will I be able to add these at a later stage?

I can't afford a Tungsten right now. The 31 is at the right price, but it MUST be able to read Word/Excel stuff, even if this means adding extra software.

Can anyone help?

10. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

documents to go runs on palm zire 31.

http://software.palmone.com/Platfor...3DE9&platformId=1&productType=2&productId=610

its $49 and i have good experiences with it. some new palm handhelds have a version already installed. in that case a tungsten or zire 71 is not more expensive than a 31 + the $49.

andi

edit: just saw the tungsten e comes with documents to go for 199, the zire 31 is 149 without the dokuments to go. there are also some mail in rebates. go with the tungsten e.

andi

12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I have a Sony Clie TJ37 for sale in the marketplace here. It has wifi and a camera built into it. I'm looking to get around $200 for it. Heres the link Sony Clie TJ37

It will not synch with Macs unless you get this software though:
    Mark/Space Missing Sync