iPad Receive iMessages sent to phone number on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sallyjones, Dec 22, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2. I was wondering if anybody could tell me, step by step, how to configure everything so that I can receive iMessages sent to my phone number on both my iPhone and my iPad. I don't really want to use my apple ID email address to send and receive iMessages, I'd much rather use my phone number if that's possible. I haven't tried it on my own because I don't want to accidentally mess up any settings and then not be able to receive iMessages on either device.

Thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

3. macrumors 68040

shenan1982

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link but that doesn't exactly answer my question... How can I configure it so that I receive iMessages sent to my phone number on my iPad?

5. macrumors 6502

Assuming you set up your iPhone with your apple id (which I believe you have to):

Settings>messages>send&receive then make sure the phone number is checked.

6. macrumors 6502a

This. Make sure your phone number is selected on each device.

7. macrumors 6502

I don't see any way to add a phone number on the iPad. It only lets me enter email addresses.

8. macrumors regular

josielinnea

You have to set it up on your iPhone first so that the iPhone says that it sends and recieves through the phonenumber. Then you can do the same on the iPad.
    If you've already done it on the iPad but the option doesn't show up on the iPad, restart the iPad.

9. macrumors 65816

My number is added along with my email. I get iMessage via phone number / email, but can't on the iPad Mini. Does my 4S need to be on iOS 6 as well?

10. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I believe iOS 6 is required on both devices, yes.