Receive Yahoo! Mail in OS X Mail?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kardashian, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I have copied all the POP3 settings exactly, from the Yahoo! help section - yet Mail still refuses to retrieve my messages.

:confused:

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I didn't think yahoo mail did pop3 by default? I guess you have paid for version which enables it?

If you are using a third party program to give you free access to POP3 email then follow the instructions they give.

Like some people refer to the application Mail as either Apple Mail or Mail.app, MacMail also seems to be used. (For example Oxford University seem to do this too)

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you've only got a Basic mail account, it doesn't include POP3 transfers and it web only. You need to pay £1.50 a month to make it work.

If you have a Yahoo mail address because your ISP is BT, then it should work.

4. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I have both.

Sorry to trouble you then, guys. The BT Yahoo! one worked, so I assumed my normal Yahoo! one would as well.

Oh well.. :(

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

If you want a free email address that does work with Mail, gmail is your friend.

6. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Markkk! Just got me a Gmail address - but its stupid, and long, just like my AIM one - excpet AIM is only for iChat purposes, so it doesn't matter as much.

I wanted josh.thomas, j.thomas, jthomas, joshthomas @gmail.com but they are ALL taken. :(

7. gavd macrumors 6502a

It is possible to get mail.app to retrieve e-mail from Yahoo! because I've managed to do it, and you don't need to pay for an upgrade. You need to...
    • Sign into Yahoo! and go to the options
    • Click on POP Access and Forwarding
    • You'll then have to register for them to send you an e-mail once a week or so, but that's not too bad.
    • Once that's done, then you'll be taken to a page with a couple of options and once you've chosen what you want, click save and it's done.
    Then it's just a matter of going into mail.app and adding the account.
    These settings will come in handy:
    Incoming Mail Server (POP3): pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

Hope this helps.

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I have signed into Yahoo Mail, and Yahoo UK, and can't see those options ANYWHERE!

If you could provide more information, I would be very gratefull.

9. gavd macrumors 6502a

Sure...

When you've signed in to Yahoo Mail, look in the top right corner, under the Search Box. Click on Options and you'll get the page I referred to in my last post.

10. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

No. Its not there. Here's a screenshot.

Attached Files:

11. gavd macrumors 6502a

Bizarre! I've definitely got it. I'll attach a screen shot.

Attached Files:

12. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hmmm, how long have you had your account? Since before they started charing in 2002?

Edit: Also tried accessing it with a different browser, still not there.

13. gavd macrumors 6502a

Well... I've had the account for around a year I think, but as I couldn't remember exactly what I did, I created another one before I posted so I could post the steps...

Have you had yours for longer than a year? I'm wondering if it's to do with that as both the account I actually use from a year ago, and the one I did just now both let me do it.

14. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hmmm, I've had the account around 6 months.

This is very, very strange. I contacted Customer Care about it. :(

So you check your emails in Mail. app?

15. gavd macrumors 6502a

It's definitely strange. I can't think of any reason, why I would be able to do it. Yours is a Yahoo.co.uk account isn't it?

I do pick up my Yahoo! e-mails in mail.app and I've had no problems doing so.

However, I've just started a 60 day .mac trial and I'm thinking about forwarding the Yahoo! mail to my .mac e-mail so I can get it on my iMac and PowerBook. Tried it last night and it seemed to work OK, so it seems I can use Pop3 and mail forwarding while you have neither option... :confused:

16. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Mine is a .com address - although its under a UK address, everytime I sign in, I automatically get re-directed to the UK Mail site, so in theory, there should be nothing wrong.

I will see if my name if available under a .co.uk addy. I like mine now though, josh.thomas@yahoo.com - no silly numbers or anything :)

17. gavd macrumors 6502a

I guess that's the reason then but it seems a bit strange it's offered under .co.uk but not .com

Hopefully Customer Care will come up with something. Sorry I couldn't come up with a solution!

18. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Not necessarily. My mother had a BT account that she opened in 2003 and obviously got a BT Yahoo email address. When she switched to PAYG internet on BT, her email stopped automatically coming to her co.uk address on her PC until she upgraded to a Premium account from a basic one.

On the other hand, I'd had a BT address since 2000 which became a BT Yahoo one and although I'm not longer a BT subscriber, for some reason my BT Yahoo email account still downloads to Mail. Perhaps because of the age of the account, perhaps just ineptitude?

20. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm also a BT Yahoo customer for my Broadband.

Maybe I could write to them and be all narky, saying I'm going to close my account down unless they let me retrieve my email.

Or is it nothing to do with Yahoo? My address ends in @btinternet.com - but my web based email signs into the BT Yahoo site.

I could try registering for a UK account, and hope theres one available in my name - which so far, there hasn't been. I don't want to mess up my Flickr either, as I'm going Pro soon and have tons to upload.

21. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Yahoo have emailed me back.

.co.uk Accounts are eligible for POP access, .com is not. And it cannot be swapped over either.

Anyone wanna sell me josh.thomas, j.thomas, joshthomas @yahoo.co.uk?

22. 7on macrumors 601

7on

.de is also eligible for POP3. I used to use it back in the day. If you know german, it might be helpful.

23. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hmmm, no German here, sorry! :(

Hopefully a .co.uk address will become available. :)