Received an unlocked replacement iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rishi27, Nov 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come?? :confused:

2. sillywabbit, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Once you go though the set up, your phone will be locked to whatever carrier sim you have in there.

If it is a Verizon phone, then the GSM portion will remain unlocked.

On a side note: Please tell us what color phone you have and 16, 32, 64 gb, condition of replacement, and the first 4 number of your serial number and week it was made? If you have the original phone seral number to, then please provide the same.

Put your serial number into here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

You don't have to of course, if you don't want to. My replacement appears to be "new" or someone's returned phone.

My serial no. is DNPJD
    Week: 37 September
    White 32 GB
    DN Chengdu China

Thanks

3. macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Most likely some one already got the iPhone unlocked and then got it replaced at the Apple Store for whatever reason.

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Why are you complaining then?
    If its already unlocked you dont have to pay unlock fusion another $3-4 to unlock it.
    You just saved yourself lots of money:D

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Did it look like I was complaining??:p I was just wondering how come it be factory unlocked fresh outta box..

----------

Replacement serial no. F2LJD
    Week: 37 September
    Black 16 GB
    F2 ----- I don't know what factory is this??

----------

Do you think a refurbished phone is possible so soon yet? Mine shows it was built in 37th(september) week...

6. macrumors G3

I doubt 37th week builds are refurbs. However, refurbished iPhone 4s arrived around the 2 month mark and it's been 59 days already so the newest batch of replacement iPhone 5 should be refurbs rather than brand new any day.

7. macrumors 6502

You're sounding like a refurb phone is just the same faulty phone someone returned and just repackaged in a white box..

Do you really know what goes on regarding replacements?

8. macrumors G3

No, I'm perfectly aware that refurbs are re-manufactured iPhones with a brand new case, battery, etc. Some members are just extremely anal and want to know whether their replacement iPhones are actually refurbs or brand new straight from factory.

9. phonelover01, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

macrumors newbie

This chipmunk site...I've seen it in a few threads. Can someone confirm if it's really safe to give them our serial numbers?

10. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

seems safe enough. never heard of anyone running into trouble by checking their device out on chipmunk, myself included.

11. macrumors regular

Because it's remote unlock, no need to get the phone out of the box to unlock it.

Just send IMEI for unlock, turn the iPhone on and viola! You got unlocked message on iTunes.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright! I called up apple cause my replacement phone was unlocked straight outta the box( I'm happy though:D). But was wondering how can it be so gave them a call just to check and some Genius on the phone told me this

" IF YOU PERFORM DFU RESTORE ON ANY GSM IPHONE 5, IT AUTOMATICALLY UNOCKS ITSELF":eek:

I was like that is not true, but he was adamant on his point. Was the genius on the phone right?:confused:

13. macrumors 601

No.

14. macrumors newbie

What's the worst thing the chipmunk site could do with your serial number--open up fraudulent cases on your behalf, flag the phone as stolen, etc.? Or is it pretty benign?

15. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Lmao:)
    We all know that's bs.
    If that was the case we all would do dfu restores to unlock them instead of paying for unlocks or chasing AT&T to unlock it.