Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Going back . . . some people do

I beg to differ. Idk how anyone uses an iOS device without a retina screen, there's no going back since the iPhone 4.

No need to beg ;)
Some like retina displays. And to some it doesn't matter . . . personal preference.

I have an iPhone 4S and now the iPad Mini and I like them both :D

----------

Don't like the screen of the iPad mini? Buy a new iPod touch. It's got a retina display. Screen not big enough? Use it 3 inches away from your eyes. It will look even bigger than an iPad 4.

lol

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
of course they will make it cheaper next year... sheesh.
they'll bring out ipad mini 2 for the same price and sell ipad mini 1 for $249.

That's why they introduced the magical price of $329 so they can give you the same price as they did the last time... only NOW WITH RETINA! It's the same god damn formula they continue to do over and over. It works and you buy it anyway and they keep doing it and you buy it again.

I know Apple has to be laughing and at the same time patting themselves on the back for their marketing skills. NOMATTER, what they put out and put the Apple logo on, people is going to buy it without thinking.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Choices are great!

I can't believe the number of complaints! I have mine and I BARELY notice the pixels. I think the screen is great. I am so happy with my mini.:)

Yep, to each his or her own :)

Oh, I LOVE my iPad Mini too, but that's me.

mlw4411

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
You say the non retina display is not a huge problem then you say retina is not the greatest thing in the world ?

If retina isn't the greatest then how is your non retina screen not really a problem ?

??

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Oh look, another pointless post about how if you don't even notice it that means the display is good for everyone else.

Oh look, another pointless post about how if yo do notice it that means the display is not good enough for everyone else.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
After receiving the Mini and playing with it for the better part of the evening, the screen is definitely leaving something to be desired.

Only one reviewer so far has hit the nail on the head: Cult of Mac.

They basically sum it up by saying this is the most frustrating Apple device EVER. It is not worth a penny more than $329 and it will potentially be the best Apple product ever if it gets a retina upgrade next year.

I like it a lot so I don't think I will return it since what is available is simply reality, but man am I noticing the screen difference.

I had issues w/ the screen from the moment I saw it, but loved the way it fit my hand. It's well worth $329 but I don't understand those standing up for the screen quality. For 2012 it's passable at best. But I might be jaded being use to the iPad 3 & rMBP screens. My expectations have risen significantly. I never thought the iPad 2 screen was bad until the 3 came out.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I like reading unbiased reviews, this one seems to be one.

Agreed, which is one reason why I wanted more people to read it. It seems like The Verge is now paid off by Apple, not giving any iDevice anything under a 9.

pdmpolishing

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
The iPad Mini is a fantastic device, I love the size, the weight, but without doubt it needs a Retina display.

So many people will buy the mini to read books on because of the form factor. I've used the mini for a day now and spent quite a few hours reading a book, yes, you can read ok, but I wish it was retina. I read books on my iPhone 5 and the text is just sharp compared to the Mini.

Roll on Retina!

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Oh look, another pointless post about someone saying the display is a huge problem when it's really not. I've played with mine for maybe two hours or so, and I don't even notice it. The display is good. It's not retina, but retina is not the greatest thing in the world. It's an awesome device.

It's not because you're finding the iPad Mini great that others must feel the same way. I for one won't be buying as it lacks Retina. Maybe not important to you, but important to me, especially when investing $329 in a product.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Agreed, which is one reason why I wanted more people to read it. It seems like The Verge is now paid off by Apple, not giving any iDevice anything under a 9.

It's funny how the sites that a person disagrees with always seem to be the ones that get paid off.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
After receiving the Mini and playing with it for the better part of the evening, the screen is definitely leaving something to be desired.

Only one reviewer so far has hit the nail on the head: Cult of Mac.

They basically sum it up by saying this is the most frustrating Apple device EVER. It is not worth a penny more than $329 and it will potentially be the best Apple product ever if it gets a retina upgrade next year.

I like it a lot so I don't think I will return it since what is available is simply reality, but man am I noticing the screen difference.

So what you're saying is that you agree with a reviewer that spent less than 24 hours with the device?

Anyone with a right mind would know that more time is needed to properly judge a product, professional or consumer.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
So what you're saying is that you agree with a reviewer that spent less than 24 hours with the device?

Anyone with a right mind would know that more time is needed to properly judge a product, professional or consumer.

Yeah, considering the iPad and iOS hasn't been out for at least 2 years :rolleyes:

It doesn't take long to get to a screen that really demonstrates the mediocre text quality.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
My son wants one for Christmas now. He and his sister share a first gen iPad, and obviously that's problematic. So I guess Apple's getting at least one more sale from me. ;)

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Wow the OP is an angry ( :mad: ) guy hahaha.

Anything else you wanna get off your chest about Apple's current state / products whilst your here, or have you covered it all? Coz it's really insightful.
:rolleyes: yawn.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

A screen is a screen though and is something I can't get past

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Agreed, these are sub-standard panels. Panel quality and resolution are just too far behind Apple's existing models.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
I like reading unbiased reviews, this one seems to be one.

If you think that review is unbiased, you must believe Fox News or MSNBC are "fair and balanced" too :rolleyes:

Regardless of where you stand on the screen issue, using that review to make your case is weak to say the least.

The review is amateur hour in the extreme. He contradicts himself all over the place. Just try to logically parse the "update" paragraph. Is it faster, slow, the same speed? He implies all three

Also as he tries to make the point over and over again about text quality, the examples he uses have the "superior" text of the 3 at significantly bigger sizes. That alone will make it look sharper (just like the louder headphones in a a-b comparison tend to "sound better"

Last but not least, there is NO WAY to completely accurately assess the quality of a display (including a retina) by viewing screen grabs/shots on the web. The simple reason is that the device you are using/viewing it on is going to have far more impact on the view than most realize.

Short example from the folks that sell TVs- They tend to turn the contrast higher on the models they want to push. The higher contrast makes the display look sharper at first glance.

I bought one for my daughter and after playing with it quite a bit i was very impressed with it (especially the size and weight and hand friendliness). The screen resolution is fine for the size though retina would have made it fantastic.

In other words the mini-hd next year will be solid upgrade, but doesn't mean the present iteration is a failure

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So, would the screen turn miraculously better if the Mini had cost $249? :rolleyes:

No. That's why I don't get the it's too expensive arguments. In fact, if it had a Retina Display I would pay $429 for it. Otherwise, for me, I can't go back in time, so no sale from me.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
No. That's why I don't get the it's too expensive arguments. In fact, if it had a Retina Display I would pay $429 for it. Otherwise, for me, I can't go back in time, so no sale from me.

I'm sure they are pretty heart broken.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007

I'm saying the same, I would gladly pay more for a retina.

I think the difference is only big for text. If you stream media or play games, you won't really see much of a difference. When you try to read small text, that's a different story.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Yes it could have been better. No complaining won't miraculously force Apple to install retina displays in future shipments.

Yes, Apple will introduce a new even sharper retina display for the next iPhone and iPad. No the Mini will not incorporate this newer, cutting edge display, but the then-older retina display we have now. Yes you will complain even though you finally have retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.