Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I currently have a stereo receiver (kenwood) and surround sound system (polk audio) that I would like to replace in pieces. The receiver is old and not that good, and the polk sub doesn't work but the speakers are good. Looking for suggestions on a stereo receiver to get as well as a new sub. Would eventually replace the 4 speakers and the center, just no need to now.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Personally I'd go with an all-in-one system or home theater in a box to save some cash. I don't usually recommend them because they're usually weak but the Onkyo HT-S790 (7.1) is a darn good system ... and for only $499.

Otherwise you're just going to waste a lot of cash on a sub, as they aren't cheap, and a new receiver. It'll probably total up to around $499 anyway.

colema01

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
Here's an idea.

I noticed the "Mac Mini stack" in your post so here's my suggestion (my current setup). I have a 2.16GHz Mac Mini (thank God for Intel :D ) with a 500GB LaCie hub functioning as my "media center" (thanks to Front Row) connected to my Sony Grand Wega TV. I just recently purchased the BOSE Companion 5 speaker setup. It costs $399 and plugs in via USB to the Mini. It's has Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and is plenty loud enough to piss off the neighbors. :D

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
First -
Avoid BOSE at all cost. Their stuff is overpriced, underpowered, and has poor response curves.

I'd recommend the Infinity PS-X series of subwoofers. They have a lot of bang for the buck (I have a PS-12, dad has a PS-8) and sound great.

As far as receivers go, Pioneer, Onkyo and Harmon Kardon are great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.