Receiving E-Mail on Multiple Computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JOD8FY, May 27, 2005.

1. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hello Everyone,

I have two computers at my house, a Mac and a PC. I run Outlook Express on the PC and Mail on the Mac, but I have a problem. If I check my e-mail on my PC, it will download the latest e-mails I have received. If I check my e-mail on my Mac, it will do the same thing except omit those e-mails already downloaded by the PC. If I go back to the PC, it will download the e-mails that I have received on my Mac plus any additional ones that have come in the mean time. I would like to be able to receive all of the e-mail on my Mac also. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    JOD8FY

P.S. - It's not necessary that I have all of the e-mail on my PC transfered to my Mac. I just want to be able to receive all e-mail on both computers.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Simple solution, Go into your Accounts settings, and under "Advanced" "Server" or "More options" depending on which mail client, set the mail program to "Leave Mail on Server" for 5 days, or whatever period of time you think will me the maximum between when machine A checks the mail and Machine B checks the mail.

In Mail it's Preferences-> Accounts -> Advanced -> Remove copy from server after -> 1 week

Do this on both machines.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....I am making the assumption that the mail accounts in question are set up as pop3 accounts....that being the case you need to look at the preferences for each mail account on both the Mac and the pc and set the "remove from server" settings according to what you want. for instance, if you are using Apple's Mail.app, go into the preferences and then the accounts pane...then look at the advanced section and you'll see a "remove copy from the server after retrieving a message" box with a pop-down menu of choices...there are a couple there that you could use - "when moved from the inbox" or you can leave it unchecked and then when you want to just click the "remove now" button. There should be similar (but not exactly the same) settings available on the peecee.....oh yeah!

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Heh - how can you tell it' s a hot Friday afternoon in Victoria BC with nothing better to do but answer MacRumors questions... :D

5. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Thanks for the quick responses. It worked! It's been bugging me for a while, glad to see that there is such a simple solution.

Thanks again,
    JOD8FY

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....heheheh....yeah...short work day for me so I cmae home and after relaxing here for a bit I am out on the bike for a while...too nice to stay in all afternoon.....oh yeah!