Recent Apple Patents Being Demonstrated

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 8, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Uh... I'll take two, please. That is pretty slick. Not sure how much of a proof of concept it is for the patent (although it does seem to follow what the patent was talking about) but regardless it's rather incredible to see how this might work.

the page at http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/ explains it a bit more than the worldofapple article, and I would have initially linked directly to it, but the WOA page loaded a LOT faster.

3. Moderator emeritus

yellow

WOW.

Is that a Dock at the top of the screen when he's focusing in on Boston?

4. macrumors G3

Looks amazing :) as a designer, the whole physical interaction and manipulation process is something that I miss deeply when working digitally. :(

5. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I have no idea how that video is apple related. i have no idea what its for. But... IT'S PRETTY DAMN COOL!

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

The patent for the touchscreen and interaction UI is submited/owned by Apple Computer Inc.

7. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

So, is this group devolping it for them? I'm confused. It was submited by apple. but this video isnt from Apple. Hence my confusion.

8. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I couldnt really tell. it looked "dock-like" but I'm not sure. IT seemed like a part of the program they were using.

9. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Jefferson Han has a patent application of his own for this technology. This is not the Apple stuff.

10. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, Apple holds a buncha patents for a buncha things that have never made it into a computer.

I think in this case, we might be seeing an flash of the future of interactive computing. And though Apple may not be who brings it to us, anyone who does might have to pay $ to Apple for the rights to the patent if it's anything along the lines of what we're seeing.

11. dcv
    macrumors G3

That's incredible. I too noticed the 'dock-like' thing at the top of the screen.

iWant!

12. macrumors G5

nagromme

That's a big tablet! :D

Now, just to be clear, this video is nothing to do with Apple, right? I can't get the source page to load (bogged down).

It does show some things like the pinch-zoom seen in Apple patents, but that could just be coincidence I assume.

FWIW, that font appears to be Gill Sans, not Lucida Grande :)

(EDIT: does that World of Apple site have a 158k favicon... that doesn't appear in Safari?)

13. Moderator emeritus

yellow

I guess it could have just been a toolbar for whatever app he/she was using at the time. But it sure looked Dock-like.

14. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Yeah, how much is that LCD screen and touchscreen overlay (imbedded?)

thats the real neat thing to me. make that affordable, the interface comes.

15. macrumors 68030

joepunk

Want one, want one of those badly :D

16. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's one of the neat parts of this technology, there is no overlay. It's all done using a single conventional camera.

17. Moderator emeritus

yellow

A single camera?? WOW. How does it deal with the possibility of it's view being blocked by hamhands and whatnot, I wonder?

18. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

From behind with a beam splitter, just like a microscope. That seems to be the magic, comparing the original image with the reflection of the projected image modified by fingers.

19. Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's incredible. I truely hope this type of interaction becomes available for use in my lifetime (at an affordable price).
    Of coruse, then I might actually have to learn how to type properly. NoOOOOoOOOooooooOOooooo........!!

20. macrumors 68040

shamino

Below is the text of the first page. Hopefully that will help.
    No LCD. It's a rear-projection display. With a camera on the back-side of the surface to detect pressure from fingers.

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

Thanks for the text.

I'm seeing a lot of fun things, and some really useful ones (like the zooming and panning) too.

I also just realized that even the mirrored video won't fully load. I'll try at a lower-traffic time to view the ending!

22. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

so the way it is basically makes it for Starship Enterprise stand in front of and use fingers on it kind of thing, and not a portable device?

23. macrumors G5

nagromme

With a different method of detecting your fingers, it could be portable. Apple's patents show portable devices, and laptop trackpads can already detect multiple contact points in a limited way.

24. macrumors P6

Peace

That's simply amazing!!

I can't help but wonder how often one would have to clean it though.
    And the cost..

25. macrumors 6502a

mdavey

You would only need to clean it regularly if you were touching it with your bare hands (sweat and greese) . Perhaps in the future (just like in the past) we'll all be required to wear white gloves when using the computer ;)