Recent iBooks & PowerBooks XBench Scores??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ArchiMark, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Well, like lots of others here, I'm considering getting either an iBook or a PowerBook. I had a white iBookG3/500 before but sold it over a year ago...

So my only Mac right now is my trusty ol' PMG4/400 upgraded to 1.3GHz with other upgrades as well and 21" CRT monitor.... works quite well but really want a portable...wish Apple would release their version of a TabletPC convertible but that's another story.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, for fun I just ran XBench <www.xbench.com> on my desktop PM to see how it performs.

Not too bad for an 'old machine'....scored 126.67 overall...

While there are some iBooks and PowerBooks tested and scores listed on the XBench site, unfortunately, many of the listings were done incompletely. So you don't know whether the test was for a 12", 15", or 17" PowerBook for example.

So.....wondering if any of you reading this could download XBench, run it on your recent iBookG4 or recent PowerBookG4 models and then click the submit button on the test window which uploads your scores for the various tests to the website so that they can be used for comparisons.

Just takes a few minutes for the tests to run and then it's pretty quick to submit the results.

If you do this, please make sure you identify in your title whether your laptop is a 12" 1.2GHz iBook or 15" 1.67 GHz PBk, etc so that it's clear what you have tested.

Also, if you feel like it please post what your overall score is here and what you tested on and the test title you used for submitting results, so that we can see full results on the website.

It's fun to compare and see your lil' lappy does....also could help me make up my mind about which one to get soon....

Thanks!

Mark

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, I suppose it doesn't really help because my iBook is only an 800MHz G4 with 640MB of RAM and a 4200rpm 80GB hard drive but it gets about 77-80 most runs.

On the other hand, my new 1.8GHz iMac with 1GB of RAM and a 7200rpm 250GB hard drive generally gets around 170 on it's highest processor performance settings. :)

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

my ibook in my sig did pretty good against the other white ibooks on the site.
    :)

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

5. ArchiMark thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks mad jew, buryyourbrideau, risc for testing and info!

Very helpful.... :p

If anyone else would like to chime in, it's not too late....

Thanks,

Mark
    Silicone Valley Macster

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Not a laptop, but the Quicksilver in my signature gets ~120.

7. Vster macrumors 6502

8. themacman macrumors 6502

9. ArchiMark thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again for additional posts on tests....

However, please only post in this thread if you have a fairly recent

A) iBook G4

or

B) PowerBookG4 Aluminum

Certainly, if you're interested in this info for desktop PowerMacs, then someone start a similar separate thread....

This will help make it easier for me and others to sift through the test data shown....

Thanks!

Mark
    Silicone Valley Macster

10. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

xbench of around 100 for the ibook in my profile

if you go to xbench.com or whatever it is, you can find lots of scores to get a rough idea of how a particular system will perform

11. ArchiMark thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks adding your test info, thehuncamunca!

As for going to XBench, if you check the 5th paragraph of my first post here, you'll see that the problem is that many of the people who submitted test results to XBench did NOT take the time to adequately describe what specific model they were testing. Many say 'Bob'sPowerBook' or something similarly vague instead of 'Bob's 15"/1.5GHzG4/AlumPowerBook, etc.

Therefore, I found much of the posted info there didn't help much. Hence, this post and my call for info to be posted here.

Hope this clarifies.....

Thanks,

Mark