Recent Mac sound cards for PCI slot?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by princealfie, Mar 21, 2007.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2006
    Salt Lake City UT
    Are there any good Mac sound cards for a PCI slot? I know about the M-audio but I am looking for some awesome sound quality for audiophile. And I am picky about sound in case you want to know that.

Audiophile sound cards please? And no gaming cards, I don't care for bass. I want accurate sound to the tee.
  2. pm7300 macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006
    PCI soundcard

I know it's slightly unbelievable, but I'm still home recording and editing with an old Emagic Audiowerk8 2nd generation chip, 18 bit/50Khz fitted in a PCI slot in my Powermac G4 dual 1,42 Mac OS X 10.4.8
    The driver was not for version newer than 10.2, but it works flawlessy!
    I bought it some years ago with Logic Audio 4 under OS9, but it is still working well with Logic Express.
    The system deals with this card as it was native, ans sound preferences
    can address the in/out perfectly, despite Emagic told me the card was made for OS9, and no support for OS X. Of course there are now better sound cards
    but I saved my money!
  3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    How serious are you looking at editing? There are some great cards and chips ranging from anywhere between £150 and several thousand...
  4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Firewire is a better bet in my opinion - it means you can recycle the soundcard regardless of an upgrade. If you buy a PCI card and your already superannuated PCI-slotted Mac dies and you decide to move to a Mac Pro or a laptop that's it, time for new card. With a Firewire interface you don't have that concern, and as an audio carrying medium Firewire (400 or 800, especially if you're more or less always in 44.1/16-bit stereo) is good. I recommend the RME Fireface - and despite the unnecessary number of IO's for a non-pro I'd recommend the 800 over the 400. Word clock, multiple routing possibilities, excellent DAC performance, stable driver performance, blah blah. If that's a bit rich, the Presonus Firebox is worth a look.