Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XMashedPotatoX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Ok. Whenever I enter certain characters on my keyboard such as:

' [ ] /

I get French like characters. This is system wide. I recently pulled my powerbook right from the box.

Jason

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
what is the language set at? did you inadvertantly change a language option? look around in preference to figure out what might be going on.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Take a deep breath.

Now, pull down the "Apple" menu in the upper left corner of your screen. Open 'System Preferences.' Click on 'International' and then 'Input Menu.' French keyboard is probably selected. Just select US keyboard and you should be good to go.

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
French characters

Where did you buy it? Try going to System Preferences>International and check that the language selected is English. Don't be negative. You did the right thing!

XMashedPotatoX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Thanks guys, got it fixed. Just don't like seeing the damn American flag there. I think I am going to run pc/mac in tandem. Both OSs frustrate me and please me at the same time...and that one dead pixel is annoying on the NEW pb!

Jason

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
XMashedPotatoX said:
Thanks guys, got it fixed. Just don't like seeing the damn American flag there. I think I am going to run pc/mac in tandem. Both OSs frustrate me and please me at the same time...and that one dead pixel is annoying on the NEW pb!

Jason

I'm guessing that you selected Canadian thinking that it was Canadian English and got French instead. There have been a few posts about that.

You might want to go to the Mac OS X page on Apple's site and send feedback. They might want to split Canadian to English and French, so that people in Canada can proudly show their country's flag no matter their language preference.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
bousozoku said:
I'm guessing that you selected Canadian thinking that it was Canadian English and got French instead. There have been a few posts about that.

You might want to go to the Mac OS X page on Apple's site and send feedback. They might want to split Canadian to English and French, so that people in Canada can proudly show their country's flag no matter their language preference.

nah i find it annoying, well if i had it turned on, it would be the american flag, but even if it waas the canadian, i wouldn't want it in my menu bar. plus the canadian flag in os x looks bad

aethier

win_convert

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
Aus.
I am sure that Australian English, being the clearest and best spoken in the world, will serve you quite well if you don't wish to see that particular symbol on your computer. We spell things correctly also.

Have a Colourful favourite day. Honour and respect to your tomato sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.