recent switcher - need some general suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by raiderz182, Jan 2, 2004.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

hi i just switched to mac about 2 months ago. I bought a 12inch powerbook 1ghz
    at first it ran super fast really smooth, but lately its been going very slow
    i just wanted to ask all of you mac pros out there, how do you guys keep your mac running at top speed?
    are there things that im supposed to do periodically like defragging or something?? Please tell me what you guys do and what i can do to fix my speed problems.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well from looking at your sig, the first thing I would suggest is a trip to Crucial to up your RAM beyond the 256 that is the bare minimum recommended by Apple. (However I have heard of people with only 128Mb running OSX, but it can't be much fun.) Get your PB up to at least 512Mb. That will help with the 'feel' of your machine being faster. Beyond that, let your computer run the cron scripts that repair your machine late at night while you are sleeping, and maybe possibly get a copy of DiskWarrior to help maintain directory structure over time.

3. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

yeah, get more ram from a reputable manufacturer like crucial. (i tried generic and it messed up my ibook)

and if you switch off your mac at night, download macjanitor so you can manually perform some cleanup tasks.

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Also wouldn't hurt to run fsck. Hold down command-S at startup to boot into Single-User mode. Type "fsck -y" (without quotes) and hit Return. After fsck runs, type "reboot" and hit Return to boot back into the Finder.

You can find a plethora of great tips at http://www.macosxhints.com/ . Browsing the archives will yield many Unix and Finder tips for maintenance, optimization, and customizing your Mac.

Dan

Oh, and I agree about the RAM. Buy as much as you can afford. 256MBs, while technically adequate, is not much.

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I never shut down my Powermac, and I repair permissions at least once a week.
    I reboot it before doing any demanding video editing or DTP projects.
    The speed has been very consistent.

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I also agree on the RAM thing...get as much as you can afford. Mac OS X just like XP loves lots of RAM(although OS X doesn't eat it as much as XP does!).

BTW...if you upgraded to Mac OS X.3.2 then this is where you may be experiencing some slow downs, especially in boot up times. There have been lots of reports of the OS X.3.2 upgrade slowing down both the iBook and the PowerBook G3/G4. My iBook (Dual USB Series) boot up times are fairly slow compared Mac OS X.3 or even OS X.3.1. My 1 GHz FP iMac seems a little slower, but not as much as my iBook.

Macs generally don't need to be de-fragmented so I don't think your problem is there. Especially if its fairly new. Just make sure you repair the permissions every once in a while.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hey mactastic what are cron scripts? i new that it would do a slight rebuild if you left it on at night but can you give more info on whats going on when you leave the mac on all night. Never have seen much information on this aspect of the mac

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I have a limited understanding of this area but 'cron' is a UNIX utility that allows scheduling of various scripts. Apple apparently uses the cron 'process' (in UNIX-speak) to run several self-healing utilities.

Go to your terminal and type 'man cron' without quotes to get a better idea of how to use it.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks, i guess you can tell the computer to do this rather then just leave it on all night as i have done sometimes.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Here, I dug this up pretty quick, so it's not comprehensive or anything.

Link

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I agree that you really need more RAM.

Also, docklings and third-party menu bar extras can really slow things down. Keep these to a bare minimum.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Mactastic you Dah Man! thanks again. this is something iam sure a lot of Mac users Dont know. great info

13. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Yep. What they said. Get more RAM, probably a 512MB chip, since I'll bet you've got a single 256 installed, with one open slot.

Keep the extra stuff to a minimum.

Go get MacJanitor, it's free. Google it, or look on versiontracker.com.

Repair permissions once in a while.

Have fun! Welcome to common-sense computing.

14. raiderz182 thread starter macrumors regular

gee... thanks a lot guys im gonna try all that stuff now