Recent switcher, Super drive question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac the knife, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Mac the knife macrumors member

I switched and bought my first Mac in july. I bought a 20" Intel iMac. So far I am loving it! One problem I am having though is burning audio CDs. I am using media that when burned on my PC all my players have no problem reading. When I burn on the iMac only the iMac will read it as an audio CD. I have tried many ways of burning iTunes, Disk utility, 3rd party apps. Nothing but coasters that the iMac can read. The CDs I am using are Memorex, Does the drive not like them? I have seen other post on the net were people have said they have had problems with the Matshita DVD-R UJ-846 with firmware FB2U. This is what is in mine. Help? Hints? Ideas? Thank you in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Mac the knife thread starter macrumors member

I tried one other brand and got the same results. It is all I have at hand right now. What type does this drive like? Silver? gold? light dye? dark dye?

4. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

It's certainly not what you want to hear but given what you have said it sounds like a hardware problem that is unlikely to be fixed by anything except Apple releasing a firmware update. I have had problems burning DVDs through iDVD and found a different brand of disks helped considerably (I had been using TDK disks but then bought some Sony ones) but I am not sure that this will help in your situation.

Was the issue raised on Apple's own discussion boards such that they may already have noted the problem?

EDIT: Have you spoken to the retailer where you bought it and considered requesting a replacement? By all indications you have a defective model and therefore should be entitled to a repair or replacement.