Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
You're not viewing the whole picture. Simultaneous phone and data is very important with this kind of phone. I frequently stream music or run one of the streaming scanner applications to my car stereo via Bluetooth while driving. If you're using an app that is constantly streaming data you're going to run into an issue with data streaming and phone calls.

if you get a call while using data, the data stream is interrupted by the call. Verizon's system was not engineered by morons. This is just like the talk and text person above.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
if you get a call while using data, the data stream is interrupted by the call. Verizon's system was not engineered by morons. This is just like the talk and text person above.
As I understand it the data won't be interrupted at all if you are using wi-fi.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I can't believe how quickly this discussion became about Simultaneous voice and data.

I got a myfi recently which I would not have if I knew iPhone was coming, especially with hotspot. I doubt a deal they would offer would be better than just opening a new line for a subsidized iPhone and paying about $170 to cancel the myfi line.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
This may be a dumb question...but here it goes....

I am currently on a Verizon Family Share Plan (with a decent corporate discount). I recently added a line (for myself) and got a new LG Cosmos (just a dumb feature phone that I can use for calls and texting. The ETF for this phone is only $175. If I wanted to get a Verizon iPhone 4 (well really I would wait for the iPhone 5 announcement), why wouldn't I just:

1. Cancel the new line that I added and pay the $175 ETF
2. Add a new line and get the new iPhone at the subsidized price

Then I would get the new iPhone for $475 (175 + 300) on a new 2-year contract. Seems silly to pay 750 - 200 (or $550) when you can do the same thing for $75 less (at least for feature phones).

Am I missing something?

GL

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
This may be a dumb question...but here it goes....

I am currently on a Verizon Family Share Plan (with a decent corporate discount). I recently added a line (for myself) and got a new LG Cosmos (just a dumb feature phone that I can use for calls and texting. The ETF for this phone is only $175. If I wanted to get a Verizon iPhone 4 (well really I would wait for the iPhone 5 announcement), why wouldn't I just:

1. Cancel the new line that I added and pay the $175 ETF
2. Add a new line and get the new iPhone at the subsidized price

Then I would get the new iPhone for $475 (175 + 300) on a new 2-year contract. Seems silly to pay 750 - 200 (or $550) when you can do the same thing for $75 less (at least for feature phones).

Am I missing something?

GL

You miss nothing. I have done the same thing three times. Sometimes, paying the smaller ETF and doing a new line together comes out cheaper than paying full retail IF you plan on having the contract. Especially if you're like me, using Google Voice and thus not caring about the actual phone number changing.

Funny thing: Verizon Wireless actually will give you a little grief for doing it though. I did that to get out of my Storm 2 when I wanted to go to the Palm Pre, and again when I wanted to go to the Fascinate. Every time I've done it they always question me; it's like "dude, I'm paying the ETF, why are you questioning me on this?" It's their own fault.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
You need a green finger

Yet it be better to just not get it at those prices as money does not grow on trees.

That is why they made a place called College, you know the ones that actually can give you the knoledge to grow trees that make money :D

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
what happened to just basically restarting your contract once you get a new phone before your contract was up? did they do away with that or is it just bc its an "apple iphone" and apple doesnt like giving breaks to anyone??

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
it's actually not really better than nothing. if you bought a droid and return it for only 200 you have to pay the 529 for the iphone plus you're out whatever you paid for the driod. probably better to sell the droid

BeachCowboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Number of iPhone Users in the U.S.?

Does anyone know where I can find statistics on the number of iPhone users in the United States?

pauljbax

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005
Just Sell It

I have sold my last three phones for what I paid for them via ebay, if not more to foriegn buyers so no one should be crying over anything here. Worse case scenario, you have a nice iPod touch.:apple:

slashlos

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
These United States
A bean counter special...

Not for me, but son missed the 30 day window by 2 weeks. I realize the window has to come down sometime, but $200? Coupled with the $100 paid originally that'd be (for 16mb) $550 ($650 - $200 + 100) + taxes (U.S.). Yikes!

He might be able to do better by selling and purchase outright at a better deal if he gets above $200 which most likely he will (avg. $350-$550 for a near new droid world).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.