Recharge iPod or PB in 30 secs!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Penman, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Penman macrumors regular

"NEC has reported the development of a battery that can be recharged in 30 seconds.The new battery type is called organic radical battery, and can be recharged to the same level of power that nickel-hydrogen cells, which are widely used in digital cameras, portable MD players and other electronic devices.

The initial target market for NEC is the computer industry. Hopes are the rapid charging batteries can be used as emergency power sources for computers. Cost of the new batteries should mirror that of existing nickel-hydrogen cells. NEC plans to convert existing production facilities when manufacturing commences."

So when can we expect to see these available as 3rd party replacements? Apple would have a very real selling point if you could fully recharge in the time it takes to watch an ad. Go NEC.

2. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I've heard of nickel-cadmium, and lithium ion. I've never heard of nickel-hydrogen. How about showing a link to the source? Or how about just citing the source?

4. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Maybe he means nickel metal hydride (NiMH). I wouldn't think the charge would last as long.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Is it even feasible that a battery that lasts for 3 hours on a really high-drain device (15 inch laptop) would not hold more than an electrical socket can even produce in 30 seconds?

6. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

The PSU would need to be majorly beefed up to handle such high current draw.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, Nickel hydrogen probably refers to NiMH.

Don't know much about batteries, but my Rayovac batteries that I use for my digital camera charge in 15 minutes, which I think is very good already. They could use that instead if this 30 second battery doesn't pan out.

PS: My Rayovac NiMH batteries are awesome with my Canon camera, and the charger is dual voltage (120 V for North America, 240 V for Europe and Oz). :cool: