Recharging iPods without iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacSA, Nov 13, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

MacSA

Is it possible to recharge an iPod on a computer that doesn't have iTunes installed and say running Windows ME? Particularly the shuffle/Nano?

Doesn't it automatically start to recharge when its connected via USB?

2. macrumors G4

Chundles

If the port is powered then yeah it should but, and I'm just brain-storming here so I'm probably wrong but, maybe if the computer doesn't recognise the device (ME wouldn't) it could cut the power to the port. I'll reiterate, I don't know if what I've just said is true, it's just me thinking out loud.

3. macrumors 603

Warbrain

That would make some sense, especially if it's formatted for Mac. If it isn't, then a PC should be able to at least recognize it as a HDD.

4. macrumors 65816

ziwi

Yes - I have done this with a shuffle. Let it charge on my work PC for the gym. It just sees it as another drive.

5. macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's because the shuffle is formatted to be read on both a Mac and a PC. But if the OP formatted his iPod to be Mac-only, the PC will not recognize the device. I've done this with a shuffle before, too, but the shuffle is a different creature than the full-size iPod.

6. macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hmm, I can charge my Mac formatted iPod on any PC! IDK about you you but charging just needs a USB port! Syncing is a different story though.

7. macrumors 603

Warbrain

Some PCs will cut power to the USB port if the drive isn't recognized by the computer.

8. macrumors 68000

crees!

Correct, but it will still charge it even if it's formatted only for Mac but plugged into a Windows box.

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

MacSA

Well I would have assumed a Win ME PC would recognise a shuffle as a "Removable Drive" - like a flash memory drive? I have a USB2 flash drive that works fine on the Win ME PC.