1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

"Recluse is eaten by pet spiders"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:eek:

2. macrumors Core

Awesome!

At least his pets were fed!

3. Moderator emeritus

devilot

The thread title made me think that a Brown recluse was eaten by its own pet spiders. :eek:

4. macrumors Core

Me too, for a second!

Also from the Metro:

5. macrumors Core

iBlue

That's freakin nasty!

A man was killed by one of his pet snakes after an earthquake in Los Angeles (the northridge quake) I have to wonder about people who knowingly keep animals that can and instinctively would kill them.

When I first read the title of this I thought a "Brown Recluse" spider had been eaten by pet spiders, and while that's cool*, it's not as sensational as this.

*Brown Recluse are among some of the worst spiders EVER. Google image search a bite of one of those, if you dare.

6. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I dare. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

7. macrumors Core

iBlue

Disgusting, isn't it? Now you know why spiders freak me out so much, eh? (we had Hobo spiders in our house in the US, their bite is every bit as bad as the brown recluse. It worried me to no end. I still get that immediate sense of fear when I see a spider)

8. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Proof, if it were needed, that spiders are the work of evil. Horrible little things.

9. macrumors Core

Not at all. They're essential things that are quite cute.

10. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't mind spiders, but I think cute might be pushing it a little!

11. macrumors Core

Why?
    They're just little fuzzy buggers!

Like small cats with 8 legs!:D

12. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There are exceptions to every rule, of course. Applespiders are noted for their pleasantness and general loveliness.

So there you go. ;)

Essential? Fly eating duties could easily be taken over by birds. Everyone likes birds. Except maybe pigeons.

13. macrumors G4

dmw007

Scary stuff, but I guess that is the risk that you take when you own and live with such 'exotic' pets. :eek:

14. macrumors 6502

Eek. I'm agoraphobic. Hate spiders to death.
    Pretty surprised that this whole story happened less than 50 miles away from where I'm now.

15. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Arachnophobic? ;)

16. macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I second that. There's a reason I don't like spiders and this just reinforces it.

Urgh.

17. macrumors 603

OutThere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia

Arachnophobia is what you're looking for.

18. macrumors Core

wow. this is why i'd never have an exotic pet.

19. macrumors Core

What about an erotic one?

20. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Are you afraid of all spiders, or just ones that you see in open places?
    Seems a bit odd, if you ask me.

;)

21. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What is with this flood of bizarre and - frankly, unbelieveable - stories originating from Germany?

As a former aquarium owner, I simply don't believe the 'heater exploding and knocking the tank lid off' The heaters have thermostats and are made to go indefinitely without attention.

22. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Agreed, this is either complete fabrication or someone misunderstanding what they found.

A death from a widow bite is extremely unlikely (possible though). Geckos, termites, snakes, and spiders feeding on a dead person just isn't going to happen though. Maybe he knocked over the aquariums when he died (doubtfully from the spider bite) and the people who discovered it freaked out a bit at all the weird animals walking about.

23. macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Does anyone believe this?

24. Guest

calculus

It reminded me of Marie Prevost

"She was a winner, that became the doggie's dinner..."

25. macrumors Core

iBlue

A heater exploding a lid off a tank might be a bit far-fetched for how they escaped to eat their owner as well as how he died, but I do believe that a person died and was partially consumed by their weird choice in pets.