Recognizing new printer driver?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jlaiche, Jan 15, 2007.

1. jlaiche macrumors newbie

I downloaded an HP print driver for OS X and installed it, but it does not show up under my list of available printers under setup. How do I access it?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Does it show up under System Preferences -> Printer?

3. jlaiche thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I have a HP Photosmart 8250 printer. Under the "select printer" list it shows HP printers, but not the 8250, eventhough I've downloaded the Mac OS X driver from the HP website. I've tried reloading the print drivers from my original OS X disk, but to no avail can I get this printer to show in any list of available printers.

4. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I got lost on this same step, possibly even the 8250, but definitely a Photosmart. Now I'm the only one in this office of Windows who cannot print, and i feel like an idiot due to the whole "mac rulez, windowz sux" thing I got goin on.

5. alfogator macrumors member

I had a similar issue with my Canon printer's driver, which I eventually solved in a rather unintuitive way, maybe it will help you out...

In the printers and fax preferences applet click the + to add a new printer in the list, in the dialog box click on "More Printers..." and use the dropdown menu on the top, in my case there was a new entry there that located my printer.

Hope this helps.

6. goshdarnit macrumors newbie

me too, any ideas?

Wow, i have been wrestling with this for a long time, I have googled every thing I can think of: nothing!
    I have a little home network going between a windows xp laptop and my mac book pro OS X.4
    I can share files, all is well and happy.
    There is an HP Deskjet 3745 plugged into the XP machine via USB. It prints well (it will also print via USB if plugged into the Mac) It is being shared, i can see it and install on the mac, but NO DRIVER!
    it's sending me up the wall. HP says the driver for this printer is built into OS X.4 (which it seems to be when connected via USB) but on the HP drop down menu there is nothing even in the ballpark. I've tried other random HP drivers on the list, no dice. Tried "generic" no dice. The only thing I can download from HP is a driver/software installer, but I don't know where it installs the driver or what it's called. I've done some extensive spotlighting and no dice. I can't find it on the HP installation CD, the windows driver is very easy find, nothing for mac. If I put the CD in my mac the only file I can find is the installer.
    Help, help, please help. . . .:confused:

PS also tried the fix in the previous post, and it's not listed there either. . .