Recomend a Linux distro.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by combatcolin, Nov 25, 2006.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Can anyone recomend a good easy to get into Linux distro for x86?, hopefully downable.

My local WH Smiths is closed because of major renovation works and none of the other newsagents have the more specilised magazines in stock.

Many Thanks.

CC

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u looking for a linux distro? or a "howto" book about linux?
    if the former, ubuntu or suse.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Ubuntu seems to be the most talked about (though I've never tried it).

4. Arne macrumors regular

I use Ubuntu (but want to buy a Mac soon). I experience, that Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) is not very stable. Firefox crashes often and sometimes even the whole system crshes. You might consider using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) that will be supported until June 2009. It worked VERY WELL on my machine!

However, I have never tried to use it an a Mac.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Ubuntu on a Mac is quite good. I've enjoyed using it the few times that I did...

6. SupadudeX macrumors member

You can also try Fedora Core 6. Fedora and Ubuntu are very similar. Ived used Fedora for some time now and it is a well done distro.

7. Arne macrumors regular

I once used Fedora Core 3 (a while ago) and remember to have quite a lot of problems that took me some time to resolve them. After going first to SuSE, then to Ubuntu I sweard myself never to use fedora again..

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

CentOS. Free version of Red Hat Enterprise. Stable and secure and is well known amongst web hosts.

9. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I've tried Ubuntu as well, but it felt too much like Windows. The installation is easy but setting up partitions was cryptic and not as intuitive as I thought it could be. The UI is a bit drab and depressing. It has some decent open source software like OpenOffice.

10. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm using Fedora Core 5 on our home "server" - I was warned against upgrading to 6 for a little while, due to stability issues. It's great, easy to install and to use. If you want to use some of the fun stuff - say for example turning on Apple File Protocol network sharing - then there's a bit of a learning curve if you're not used to Linux, since that sort of configuration is done by editing text files. But Fedora has most everything you want, and a nice graphical installer too.

Fedora and Ubuntu will be very similar for day to day use, since they are both Gnome Desktop based.

11. Fritz macrumors newbie

Linux Distro

I use several. Starting with free downloads.
    I love OpenSuse, easy to setup, use and it just works. Easy to update as well
    I use RedHat Fedora 5, It is good, but I tend to run into more odd issues, most likely my own lack of experience with it.

I also use Redhat ES 4, I really like that but it costs money. It seems pretty stable for server level use.

Lastly.. I use FreeBSD which is technically not linux but more Unix like. It is less friendly but you will learn tons if you take / have the time to play with it.
    It is rock solid and is my main server in my home.. I love it but again... it has a learning curve.

Go for it.. you won't turn back

BTW.. I am an advid waiter for Leopard (os x 10.5) It is going to be an awesome server platform.

12. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

If you are planning to do any SW development or have above average tech knowledge, go with Slackware. The most stable of all of them, everything is soo easy to install and manage. But be prepared to spend couple of hours to get familiar with docs and general "how-to" procedures.

If you are just looking for simple desktop (email, internet, office), Ubuntu/Kubuntu (I prefer Kubnutu/KDE to Ubuntu's GNOME window manager) is probably the right choice. Ubuntu "family" is the hottest Linux distro at the moment. Again, be prepared to spend hour or two on the forums in order to find out how to install some widely used media players and other tools.

Fedora Core is another good choice, I use it for my PVR box with MythTV. FC5 is very stable and I am holding on with the upgrade to FC6 for now.

If you are planning to run server and/or enterprise apps, CentOS is the best choice.
    MEPIS is also recommended by many, but I never tried it so can not talk about it.

Check www.distrowatch.com for more information on variuos distros.