recommend a anime

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Anarchy99, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    i liked full metal alchemist,bleach,trigun,gungrave and didnt mind naruto even though naruto is a little repetitive
    anyone got any recommendations that i might like?
  2. Tel macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2005
    I've seen a fair amount of Full Metal Alchemist, as well as a small amount of Gungrave and Trigun but so far I have yet come across anything that even comes close to Cowboy Bebop, its much more mature than anything else I've seen and anime or not, its one of the best shows I've ever seen. I highly recommend it.
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    hmmm check out my website and you may get more responses, i will give my recommendations tomorrow
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i <3 neon genesis evangelion. but it's the only anime i watch so i'm no expert :eek:
  5. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2005
  6. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2005
  7. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Ok here we go this is what i own that i like***, may include things you have already seen

Azumanga Daioh
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Bubblegum Crisis 2040
    Card Captor Sakura
    Cowboy Bebop
    Dead Leaves
    Eva (of course)
    Ghost in the shell (both movies not the series, maybe 2nd gig don't have that thou)
    Golden Boy
    Haibane Renmei
    Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
    Millennium Actress
    Martian Successor Nadesico + Movie
    Onegai Teacher
    Paranoia Agent
    Perfect Blue
    Princess Mononoke
    Requiem from the Darkness
    Sakura Diaries
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Tokyo Godfathers

*** Not everything I own, just what i really like out of my huge collection

Now for things i don't own but like
    Full Metal Panic
    Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
    Full Metal Panic The Second Raid
    Aeon Flux
    Full Metal Alchemist (its growing on me)
    Gundam Wing
    MSG (Mobile Suit Gundam)
    Spirited Away
    Porco Rosco

Ok I will stop there are a lot more anime that I own and don't really like, also i like a lot more anime that i can't think of right now.

If you want a full list of what I own, it is on my website.
  8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Start with Akira.

Ghost in the shell.

DO NOT touch Fist of the north star. Sheer dribble.

Perfect Blue is cool., same for Spirted Away.
  9. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    If you like innocence and just plain enjoyable anime try anything by Studio Ghibli. I've been watching their films since I was a kid, before I even distinguished Japanese from western animation. Absolutely love My Neighbour Totoro. I still hum the theme tune from time to time :) Haven't seen it in a decade mind.
    Spirited Away is utterly beautiful. It's a fantastic story and the first film I ever watched that I didn't want to end. Pure magic.
    Princess Mononoke is another stunner. A little more adult than the other Ghibli films I've seen, it has a lot of blood, violence, maybe swearing. Its good.

Strongly recommend Akira.

Ghost in the Shell was a little drag to me.

Don't watch anime cartoons (as in not-films). dont have the channels for that and I'm just not bothered. Apart from Cowboy Bebop. :)
  10. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Christ as i look to my bookshelf and not my other shelf, and on top of my entertainment center, and my TV and my desk, and on the ground. I realize i own about 200 anime DVDs and about 100 manga.

is this sad?
  11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    Definitely get Macross Plus. Greatest Anime of all time. Watch the OVA first and then the movie. My dorm mate had me watch all four OVA's in a row (not that I was objecting after the first episode) and I walked away stunned. I was literally speechless, which was the first time that ever happened. I still go back to Macross Plus every once in a while, and I usually don't watch movies repeatedly.

I also enjoyed Love Hina, which is at the other end of the spectrum. Whereas Macross Plus was "giant robots/awesome fight scenes/complex relationships" (yes, really - complex relationships), Love Hina is wacky "male college student/all girl dorm manager". He totally gets the crap beat out of him on a daily basis, so it's not Hentai, just fun.

It's hard to go wrong with Cowboy Bebop. Great action series.

Those are my really only "must have" series.
  12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I used to be big into anime, but just kinda stopped, It's a lot of work to find a good one and keep watchin... Right now I just watch Adult Swim stuff. I'm likin' FMA and Samurai Champloo, they've recently started playin newer (or new, I'm not sure) episodes, and takin a turn that's pretty interesting. I'd get back into anime but it takes so long to watch them, and you don't evenknow if the series is goin to be good. Just my opinion.
  13. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    Cambridge, MA USA
    Then the wolf, he...ate up little red riding hood

Jin-roh is probably the most serious and adult of all the recommendations. The darkest and most twisted take on little red riding hood.
    The wackiest and most off the wall recommendation that might make you ask "what did I just watch" is probably FLCL aka Fooly Cooly(Furi Kuri). Actually Dead Leaves is even more insane. The most recent anime I've seen since Dead Leaves is Otogi Zoshi. The animation style reminds me of the original Rurouni Kenshin OVA(SamuraiX). It's a classic japanese tale. Of course it kind of changes drastically in the middle to say anymore would spoil it for you.
  14. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    dear do you afford all that....i couldnt even afford the hdd storage for pirated copies of all that :eek:

15. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, Samurai Champloo, Bebop, Escaflowne, Macross Plus and Wolf's Rain are all tied together in that writers/directors have worked on them. Yoko Kanno (the Composer) also worked on all of these, so I recommend them all.

I would say stay away from the Ghost In the Shell movies at first. They're re-writes from one of Anime's worst writers/directors Instead wwatch the TV series STAND ALONE COMPLEX and 2nd Gig, they are more true to the Ghost In The Shell epic.

TV series are generally much better than Movies. Ninja Scroll is lame, and Samurai X the OVA is excellent. Anyone who likes Dragon Ball Z, and those who have birthed it into this world should be shot. It's crap. Utter crap. X the movie is also crap compared to the Series.

There's very few shows that Adult Swim shows that are worth it. FMA is crap. All of the good shows are on WAY late at night, but for the most part they've been a big proponent of the Gundam series.

FLCL, Bebop, GITS, and Wolf's Rain re their best series, and most people wouldn't even know about these if they didn't watch Adult Swim. Being Otaku doesn't mean you have to be elitist, but that you keep an open mind and know that there is SO MUCH more out there that isn't shown on Adult Swim.

It all depends on what you like. Do you like Samurai? Do you like big robots or Mech? Do you like guns and hot chicks firing those guns? Do you like romance, or comedy, or horror? There's more Genres to Anime than there are American Film. Let me know what you like and I can suggest from there.
  16. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    hell i have twice as much anime as that, those are just what i really like.

i just go up to tokyo kid and buy a lot, or when tax returns come i buy about 200 dollars in anime.

also i have a lot of japanese horror movies.
  17. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth