Recommend A Cat Forum Please

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, May 29, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm looking for a good cat forum to join. I thought I would ask some of the excellent members of MacRumors if they have a recommendation. PLEASE, if you don't like cats, don't post in this thread. Thanks you guys in advance. :)

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have a link to the forums at TheCatSite.com, and there seems to be a lot of activity, but I haven't been there enough to be able to say if it's a nice forum or not... but, hey, it should be okey since we're all cat lovers, right...? ;)

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Cat Forum has good activity. I joined, but I haven't been active lately.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Clovis California!!

I love that town almost as much as I love its name. :D

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My cat used to post there, but it was always the same thing: "meow, meow, meow...."

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

:D

Well, some cats are a bit more talkative... even if they typically are bad at typing... ;)

But for those who prefer their cats just to meow, this might be a good system sound on your Mac... :)

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    My cat is still too pissed at me for making him wear a sombrero <-(see avatar)

that he won't let me post anything about him anymore :p

8. Lau Guest

I had absolutely no idea that your avatar was a cat in a sombrero, but now I see it I can't see anything else, and I have no idea at all what I thought it was. :p

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

A furry mexican hybrid perhaps? Maybe I should touch it up a little so it's easier to see...lol..

**ok, maybe it's easier to see now that I added some brightness.** his name is Billiethecat btw.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Mine kept falling asleep on the keyboard.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, it's Apple's logo from the Mexican version of 10.3 Panther.

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I love cats and have two. But ever since my son was born they have just been in the way. Also the male just pees on everything in the bathroom. These will be the last cats I have for a looooong time.

Would anyone like to adopt two cats?
    One male 12yo tabby with a leak.
    One 5yo female purebread American Shorthair who hates people.

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Damn, you caught me....Billiethecat will be upset that Mexico used his image to pawn software.....

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

When we took childbirth classes for our first child, the nurse told us to get rid of the cats - they would suck the breath out of the baby. This from a person with a college degree representing a large hospital.

One of our cats would sleep with her in the crib. We have pictures of our two cats, plus a cat from across the street who would come visit, all napping on the bed with our daughter.

I'm sorry yours haven't been too keen on your son. A cat who pees in the house is a real problem.

Maybe a kitten and/or a puppy when he gets older will work out.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When a cat starts peeing where he shouldn't, suspect a health issue. Especially male cats. They're vulnerable to kidney problems.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Don't forget vampires. Nubile female vampires like to feast on little babies.

17. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

We actually had to put our cat down 2 months ago. It was the hardest decision I've ever made. My cat, female, would leak frequently, even when I was petting her. And if stressed, forget it! The leaking condition lasted for almost a year, and when she started vomiting after meals, it was the beginning of the end. The vet did an ultrasound and found a large mass in her chest. I was with her in the end, but....I still miss her. The wound has not healed.

18. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

One of mine has started pulling the keys off my girlfriends laptop - he obviously likes the noise it makes as they fly across the floor. But it is a Windows laptop so I can't complain :D
    I sometimes use CatForums.com. Usually find an answer in there, or just for amusement.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I know the feeling. The only cure is going to the shelter and adopting another cat. I still remember euthanizing one of ours like it was yesterday, though it was over ten years ago. Kidney failure. We tried so hard to let him die naturally, but it was obviously not fair to make him go through it. He was such a great cat we needed to adopt two cats to replace him (brother and sister, now 11 years old).

Cats have amazing constitutions. They rarely give you any clue that they're even ill, until they're ready to keel over.

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

We'll do another cat, probably by the end of the summer. I need a few projects finished before I can give him/her the attention they will need. The only question will be one or two cats. I would be perfectly happy with one, but then I question whether denying him/her of a companion & playmate is a good thing. After all, the house is empty all day while we're at work. But with a single cat, I think the human/cat bond is stronger.

Its a tough call.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When we first saw these guys looking out at us from the cage at the shelter, we figured, what the heck, two cats couldn't be any more trouble than one. We discovered the hard way that the trouble is exponential, especially when they're kittens. Not to discourage you though, they are good company for each other. Even as adults, they still groom each other sometimes, which never fails to impress.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This news is not promising. Our cat does not show the same symptoms but he does pee alot on things he shouldnt, pukes at least once or twice a week and has a nasty sneazing problem. A vet visit may be in order....:eek:

23. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Definitely visit your vet. It could be any number of things, but for us, it was lymphoma, cancer. Cats are clean animals by nature, however male cats spray to mark their territory. That may be what going on with the urinating. Or it could be a bladder infection. The sneezing may just be a cold or a virus, treatable with anti-biotics. The vomiting could be related to an overactive thryoid, or maybe he's eating too quickly. How is his weight? My cat never gained a lot of weight, so when he lost a few pounds, it was quickly apparent. A web search will bring up lots of worst case scenarios, but only your vet can tell you what's going on....

24. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

25. Frisco macrumors 68020

I would definitely get 2 kittens together. Cats just get so lonely home all day alone. They can share the same litter box.

I made the mistake when I got my cat not also getting one of her siblings. She is lonely during the day. But she is older now and older cats are less accepting of new cats. It's always best to get 2 together when they are very young.