Recommend a display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by molocono, May 6, 2006.

1. molocono macrumors member

Hi! I'm looking to buy a flatscreen monitor for my computer. Something between 20'' - 24''. Could anyone recommend something? I do a lot of video editing and graphics work. I'd rather not buy the Apple displays, as I find them to pricey. Thanks!

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

There's the Dell range, but I'm considering a Viewsonic. They seem to have a good reputation. No additional wizzy bits (USB ports/Pic-In-Pic etc), but a good price.

Viewsonic VX2025WM
    20IN LCD Monitor
    BLACK/SILVER
    Widescreen 1680X1050
    8MS 800:1
    VGA & DVI Inputs

3. molocono thread starter macrumors member

What do you think about the Apple displays? Are they worth the price? I have one at work and I love it. Can I get that quality from another monitor?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I do not believe Apple monitors are worth the price even though they are good monitors. Take away the casing, I cannot tell the difference between my Apple at work and my Dell at home. Get a Dell. You won't be disappointed with a Viewsonic either though. Either way, unless you are concerned with an Apple look, stay away from the Apples.

5. molocono thread starter macrumors member

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

7. dex22 macrumors regular

You can pick up the Dell 2005FPW for under $400 if you shop around. It's a 20" widescreen unit. They do a 24" version that's a fair bit more expensive.

I use mine for video editing. The contrast, brightness and clarity are superb. It's also a pleasantly crisp display that doesn't crush some blacks the way a few cheaper units tend to do. (The Viewsonic also scores well here)

That said, it's not great for watching DVDs, as I sometimes do. The backlight is so bright, the corners/edges of the display are lit through enough to appear gray if watched in an unlit room.

At the end of the day, it's the same panel as the 20" cinema display; the case isn't intrusive to the eye, it can handle multiple inputs (great for reviewing video before importing it) and you can find it under $400 because it's being replaced by the functionally identical 2007FPW.

8. molocono thread starter macrumors member

I'm gonna go for the Dell 24". Is there a Viewsonic similar to this?

9. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

i read a review (from anandtech i think) where they basically said that the dell and apple displays are 80% identical. personally i have 2 dell 2005fpw. I would NEVER get a non-widescreen monitor - but that is me.

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Widescreen is fantastic.

and if you play WOW, a gift from God...

11. molocono thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a Dell 2005WFP?

12. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I have the 23, it's worth every penny.

13. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

How are the previous generation Cinema Displays? With the two clear broad foots on the front, ADC and the G4 look (colours and clear plastic)

I am thinking of getting the 23 inch second hand, is the quality much worse than your average Dell screen? Are there any negative points about this?

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

my 20" is fantastic as well, but I got it as a gift. If I were paying, I'd be hard pressed to justify the apple over a dell.

15. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

Dell 2407fpw less than $550 shipped

Dell LCDs are priced insanely low for their quality. If you hurry, there's currently an eBay seller who has one new for $524.07 shipped, but he doesn't accept Paypal:

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3&fsoo=1

This seller regularly has this model or the older 2405fpw at great prices--not this low, but lower than anyone else's. eBay is a great source for Dell 24s.

16. nutmac macrumors 68030

Apple Cinema Display might get updated (with iSight perhaps?) and/or cost reduced at WWDC in August.