Recommend a good Dreamweaver substitute

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 18thTomorrow, Jan 31, 2005.

1. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

I've had it up to here with Dreamweaver. It's sucky and slow.

I've been looking at sourceforge.net for a replacement for a few hours, but have found nothing remotely like it.

All I want is an application(possibly something like Homesite?) that will help me code in HTML, PHP, and ColdFusion. No WYSIWYG-stuff, just something that will color-code my tags and put when I save my files.

Is there such a dream program for Mac?

Thanks to all

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

3. Johnstkr macrumors newbie

Look at Textmate , or skEdit, or textwrangler 2. Match these with something like CVS / subversion and transmit and you can replace dreamweaver and it's site functionality too. Textmate has some really cool features, column typing rules.

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Try jEdit , it isn't as integrated with OSX as I'd like with it being a Java application and all (don't let that put you off by the way despite popular belief Java applications can perform quite well) but it does syntax highlighting, bracket matching, code folding and all that good stuff plus it is absolutely free. :)

5. 18thTomorrow thread starter macrumors 6502

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

7. brap macrumors 68000

SubEthaEdit is my tool of choice. Free, and lightweight.

8. beg_ne macrumors 6502

You might try Eclipse (eclipse.org). There are various plugins for coldfusion, php, etc. I haven't used it extensively on my Mac's so I can't really give you a good comparison in speed compared to dreamweaver. It has some cool things like code folding that I hope the next version of dreamweaver gets.