Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pm-forums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
New York
Hi,

Do any of you nice people have any suggestions for a headset for phone calls that has a boom-like mic and works well with the 6S? I can never seem to get into the Apple headphones or the typical headphones you see people walking around using for their phone calls.

For some reason I can't get past my hatred for the the dangling mic, too often people can't hear me when i turn my head and move around and it scrapes up against my jacket and stuff like that. I'm also in a busy city that is loaded with street noise. I like headsets that turn WITH my head. I always liked the old-school call center ones from way back in the day, with the long boom mics where the mic stays right in front of your mouth (maybe not the real bulbous foam-tipped ones, though, since it's not 1999).

I also never like Bluetooth because I never feel like those calls are of good quality, they always sound muffled and tinny. I feel like we are struggling to hear and understand each other, especially if the other caller is on a cell. I'm happy to plug a headset into a jack.

The big problem I'm finding is that with the headsets, there are either really high-end $275.00 sets that I'm certain to break with my clumsy ways, and the low-end Plantronics $19.00 ones that sound crappy and get bad reviews on Amazon, in my experience. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a middle ground in terms of quality and price.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Hi,

Do any of you nice people have any suggestions for a headset for phone calls that has a boom-like mic and works well with the 6S? I can never seem to get into the Apple headphones or the typical headphones you see people walking around using for their phone calls.

For some reason I can't get past my hatred for the the dangling mic, too often people can't hear me when i turn my head and move around and it scrapes up against my jacket and stuff like that. I'm also in a busy city that is loaded with street noise. I like headsets that turn WITH my head. I always liked the old-school call center ones from way back in the day, with the long boom mics where the mic stays right in front of your mouth (maybe not the real bulbous foam-tipped ones, though, since it's not 1999).

I also never like Bluetooth because I never feel like those calls are of good quality, they always sound muffled and tinny. I feel like we are struggling to hear and understand each other, especially if the other caller is on a cell. I'm happy to plug a headset into a jack.

The big problem I'm finding is that with the headsets, there are either really high-end $275.00 sets that I'm certain to break with my clumsy ways, and the low-end Plantronics $19.00 ones that sound crappy and get bad reviews on Amazon, in my experience. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a middle ground in terms of quality and price.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help.

Playtronics Voyager Legend ($58.85 on Amazon) or Voyager Pro ($39.99 Amazon). I've used a lot of BT headsets and they are the best I've used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.