Recommend a good messenger bag

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reflow, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I was looking for a messenger bag for my 12 pb and I really can’t decide on which brand to go with. I did the google thing and notice some good bags from Timbuk2. Has anyone used this brand? Or would someone recommend a different brand. What I’m really looking for is a bag that goes over the shoulder and has lots of pocket or compartment to store stuff.

2. jmckechnie macrumors member

jmckechnie

I really like the timbuk2. I've had one, but have since moved on to a northface bag as I have 2 tons of school books. However, the timbuk2 bag is real nice and very comfortable.

3. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

They actually sell one at Wilson Leather for around $50 that's pretty nice.

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I used to use my old Mountain Hardware Daypack [shoulder bag], and a Neoprene 12" soft shell. It worked well, and always had room for books while on campus.

5. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I have the Timbuk2 bag and I LOVE it. It has a special pouch for my laptop and I literally fell off my bike the other day and the bag swung around my body and my PB is fine. Yeah...it was crazy. The Timbuk2 bag is holding through my abuse. :cool:

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I like my timbuk2. lots of tiny pockets and compartments. :)

BUT be wary-- a friend of mine had his MBP in a timbuk2. As he was getting it out of the car,the strap disconnected, sending his bag to the ground. his MBP was injured.. it looked horrible. :eek: it was an anomaly, a one time thing, but still a little scary. :)

7. daveIT macrumors member

These guys...

Go to http://courierwareusa.com/, they make some sweet bags. They range from $65 to $125. They have custom laptop inserts (extra $) for Mac. This is quality stuff, made in Vermont, lifetime warranty, trade-in your old bag, etc. I have 2 (one for work and one as a diaper bag) and you can fit tons of crap in them. Get the shoulder pad ($12) if you plan on biking with it... I've checked out Timbuk bags at REI but I think the quality of the CW bags is way above...not to mention you are supporting the little guy. Good luck.

8. D34th macrumors regular

www.manhattanportage.com sells really nice messenger style bags with padded compartments for laptops. I have one of theirs right now and it fits my friends 12inch PowerBook nice and snug...

9. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Tom Bihn

Tom Bihn rocks. You can get one of their messenger bags, plus you can get a Brain Cell which is a hardened sleeve to put your laptop in.

10. techster85 macrumors regular

I LOVE my Osprey Transit bag. They are a little expensive, but I've walked across campus in the pooring rain and NOTHING even got damp. My 12-inch PB fits fine, although I use a laptop sleeve on it too. The inside is super big and spacy.

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've loved every Crumpler bag I've owned - I've purchased three messenger bags and two camera bags over the past several years. They are extremely well made. However if you're the sort of person who takes yourself very seriously, I don't recommend clicking on the link because they've got the absolute silliest commercial website I have ever seen.
    They are, shall we say, Proudly Australian.

12. SRSound macrumors 6502

I use the Brenthaven Fusion 12 for my 12" PB - it's awesome

13. ghanakidd macrumors member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834996904
    I've been using the Sahara Computer Backpack for a while now. Been good to me, and still fairly easy to find. Definitely get a soft sleeve though regardless of the bag. I found decent ones at Target for $14.99 (COMPUSA and other dedicated stores price them as much as $29.99).:D

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

For any girls out there, Fossil makes some nice ones. I personally have this one.

Fossil also makes messenger bags for guys but I obviously have not tried any and therefore cannot make any recommendations.

15. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd agree. I've got the Fusion for my MacBook, and It's one of the few bags I've had that I've felt comfortable putting my laptop in (the other was a Brenthaven Metro). It's got an incredibly protective laptop compartment inside that can be removed if more storage space is needed. If you're like me, and really want a protective case, I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

16. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

i use a timbuk2. it's not a laptop bag, but it's the XS messenger bag and i have my pb in a sleeve. actually, i got a macbook and it fits in there too just great! so if you think you'll upgrade to a macbook anytime soon, it'll fit! :D

17. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Wow that site looks like a 10 year old make it :eek: Cool

18. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well with your guys advice I think I'm going to go with this one. Only if my wife is going to pay for it :D

19. coastertux macrumors regular

I third that!

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352