Recommend a Good Microphone?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lem0nayde, Feb 15, 2005.

1. lem0nayde macrumors regular

Apr 26, 2002
    Hi everybody,
    I'm looking for a good microphone to plug into my dual g5 tower. The G5 makes a considerable amount of noise, so I guess I need something that is unidirectional - not sure actually, I need some advice.

I will be using the microphone for voice recordings, no music. The recordings need to be high-quality, so I'm not looking for a toy-type microphone.

Also - if anyone has any tips for recording around the loud G5 without picking up a ton of computer noise, it'd be most appreciated.

2. greenleaf macrumors member

Dec 25, 2004
    id suggest the Shure SM-58...I use it for recording music on my G5 and im sure it will fit your needs :D
  3. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
    I've used the Shure sm-58. It's a unidirectional mic used for a bunch of different applications including voice, rooms, guitars, etc. It's a fairly decent all-around mic. If you are on a budget, this is a good choice.

If you want something higher quality and have more to spend, I recommend the Audio Technica At-822 or At-825. They are superior stereo mics that give you the realism and depth you hear with your own ears. I was amazed at the Audio Technica's ability to reproduce the actual performance of whatever was being recorded.