Recommend a hand warmer for someone who types a lot

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by After G, Jan 12, 2007.

1. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    I find it harder to type the longer I type, because my fingers get really cold. I'd like to hear suggestions for what to do as I can wear gloves but it makes typing crappy. My hands do warm up when I take a break from typing but get cold again immediately after I start.
  2. DMBGuru macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
    Sounds like a case of bad circulation to me. I'd get up and walk around for a couple of minutes to get the blood flowing, maybe do some stretches or something.

Also maybe check the position of your hands and arms to make sure you're not cutting off any blood flow.

Seeing as your hands move when you type, you shouldn't really be getting cold fingers, because that movement increases blood flow the area.

I'd probably see a doctor to be quite honest. Or you could just buy a macbook and put your hands under it for a few seconds, that should warm them right up :p
  3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Jan 1, 2007
    Are your wrists resting on the edge of the desk (table)?

If so move your keyboard

I like the other posters idea of using the MacBook, it most certainly will keep your hands warm if you place them underneath every five minutes or so.

A visit to the "Doc" might also be a good idea.

4. After G thread starter macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Good ideas so far ... wish I had the money to spring for a Macbook :D
  5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2004
    how about...

USB / FireWire powered heated gloves? Same idea as the mug warmer - but in gloves!
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Fingerless gloves are the answer.

These are what I used to use as a student in the cold winter months in the life drawing studio. :)

7. After G thread starter macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    They actually make USB heating gloves ... wow.
    There's even a "G" version for girls.

USB heating gloves

Thanks, Blue Velvet, for the great suggestion. Do your fingers get cold with fingerless gloves, though?
  8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

No, because the cold in your fingers is just one symptom of your entire hand being cold. Most heat loss in that part of your body is in your wrists and palms... they work much like leg-warmers which manage to keep your feet warm as well.

Give 'em a try. :)
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I was thinking 110 wpm would be a good hand warmer, but I want to be serious.

Once an hour, make sure you put your hands down to your side and do some little exercises to make sure that they're getting the blood they need. Shake them and move the fingers individually. If your hands suddenly feel fat, it's probably because they haven't been getting proper blood flow.
  10. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    Cold fingers are normal. Many gamers (including myself) experience this if you play for long hours. I got this when I used to play Diablo2 or CS for hours on end.
  11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Beat me to the USB hand warmer gloves. I might have to get a pair for myself.
  12. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    You can always go to any good sporting goods store and buy a few packettes
    of "Hot Hands"
  13. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    Download one of those Fan Control Apps and turn down the CPU fan a bit, the macbook should warm up enough to keep you warm...
  14. cogNEATO macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2009
    Better Late Than Never! Heated Computer Keyboard Discussion

I found this old thread searching google for heated gloves. It's an old thread, but what the heck. It was started in 2003 - 2009, and it seems as though the problem still exists! I tried the gloves and it's too difficult to type. So, I kept looking until I found USB heated items.

I have arthritis in my hands and it makes for a very uncomfortable computer experience. I found a product called VALUERAYS. They use infrared heat rays to create heated computer gadgets.

They specialize in four items:

Heated Keyboard pad
    Heated Mouse
    Heated Mouse Pad
    Mouse hand warmer blankets

That's all they make and they use infrared healing heat by USB connection to your computer. You can learn more by visiting their websites at or
  15. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
  16. jennb macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2009
    What I use

I concur that fingerless gloves are the answer. At least they were for me.

For the past five years, I've used these fingerless gloves from Damart. They've worked well for me, so much so that I've actually bought them for colleagues, too.

I hope that helps.

17. Shrink, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

Shrink macrumors demi-god

Feb 26, 2011
    New England, USA
    I agree completely with the above. The act of typing should not produce that problem by itself.

As you undoubtedly know, your arm/hand position for typing should be with your upper arms hanging straight down from the shoulder, with elbows/hands at right angle (or hands slightly below;i.e. ~100 degrees from upper arm). The only way I could see having cold hands is if your hands arms were extended upward, above heart level - which, of course would never happen.

If you are a cigarette smoker, there is a circulatory disorder effecting the hands/fingers (the name of which escapes me at the moment.)

The suggestions in the quoted post above are excellent - especially checking with your doc. You should not really be experiencing this problem from typing alone.

God luck, mate...:D

Edit: The name of the circulatory problem associated with smoking is Buerger's Disease. There is also a "cold hands" condition called Raynaud's Disease.
  18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005